Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Random .22 Pistol Rant

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Try those thunderbolts in your mark II. I bet you can’t make it past 3 mags. Unless they changed that nasty green lube in the last 30 years, mine wouldn’t cycle after 3 mags.

Edit:
    And you get practice taking it down for a deep clean!
    i recently bought a 1982 MkII target , not last weekend but the weekend prior i was finally able to put it through its paces , i took a box of thunderbolt about half full , CCI blazer ,and CCI Mini Mags, i have about 1/2 inch of the thunderbolts left i had maybe 3 failure to ejects out of what had to be 400 rounds on the day ,i had a couple other pistols i was feeding , but the new kid received the most attention

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...r-ammo.762225/

I couldn't really find a European competition forum about 22lr about what ammo they use as it goes back to find one that works for your gun.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Growing up in the 70s, .22 ammunition always worked. Standard velocity and target ammo ran about a penny a shot.

I've been sorely disappointed at what is sold today. Some bulk-pack stuff was-is so bad I'm surprised manufacturers put their name on it (Remington and Winchester).

Reliable .22 pistols and ammo are an alien concept today -- which is a shame. I have two Colt Woodsman pistols that are a joy to shoot with good ammo - but may require a premium or import.

Simple US military white box .22 had-has to pass .mil contract acceptance inspection -- and is SO much better than Wallymart bulk pack.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Growing up in the 70s, .22 ammunition always worked. Standard velocity and target ai remember mmo ran about a penny a shot.

I've been sorely disappointed at what is sold today. Some bulk-pack stuff was-is so bad I'm surprised manufacturers put their name on it (Remington and Winchester).

Reliable .22 pistols and ammo are an alien concept today -- which is a shame. I have two Colt Woodsman pistols that are a joy to shoot with good ammo - but may require a premium or import.

Simple US military white box .22 had-has to pass .mil contract acceptance inspection -- and is SO much better than Wallymart bulk pack.
    i remember 1000 rds $5.00 , if you bought anything in a plastic case you were rich

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
    i remember 1000 rds $5.00 , if you bought anything in a plastic case you were rich
    True dat. Blue was expensive plastic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I was skimming a review of a small, inexpensive .22 pistol (Keltec P17) and at the end the talk turned to advantages of .22 LR pistols. The points were basically cheap ammo and low recoil for new shooters. To give the reviewer credit, self defense was not mentioned. Another review by American Rifleman did state that .22 pistols are an alternative defensive gun for people who cannot shoot a more powerful pistol.

I really wish people who should know better would stop.

.22s (especially semi-auto pistols) are terrible for self defense. Rimfire cartridges are inherently less reliable than centerfire, and adding a heel-based bullet just introduces more potential failures. If you cannot shoot/manipulate a larger caliber pistol, how will you clear the inevitable malfunction with a rimfire pistol.

At least with a double action revolver, pulling the trigger again gives the shooter a fresh cartridge. Of course, a new shooter or one with reduced grip strength will struggle to actually hit something while fighting the trigger pull.

A decent quality .22 LR pistol is great for teaching new shooters, as long as it has a decent trigger pull and sights and acceptable accuracy. Ammunition cost, low recoil, and reduced muzzle blast all contribute to valuable and enjoyable learning.

But they are a poor choice for self defense. I would argue that it's worse than no gun for someone that does not shoot it often.

Would I keep a Ruger Mark II as my only pistol? Sure, and I have, but I can load, unload, clear malfunctions in the dark with it and positively hit what I aim at. I also augmented it with a centerfire handgun as soon as I was able.

Andy

PS/EDIT: I should say I can positively hit with it at home/self defense range.
    i use to subscribe to the same school of thought until someone pointed out that for some the smaller caliber is better than nothing if you had hands plagued with issues so , there are exceptions

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
    i use to subscribe to the same school of thought until someone pointed out that for some the smaller caliber is better than nothing if you had hands plagued with issues so , there are exceptions
    Fair enough but then you get right back to having the hand strength and mobility to safely load, unload, and reload the pistol. If the person can pull a DA trigger, a 8/9/10 shot DA 22 revolver may be a solution.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I have just over 37K rounds with my glock 44 with that cheap bulk auto match ammo from walmart. The glock 44 is surprisingly reliable.

Before the glock 44, I would agree, all the current ones sucked. But i took the gamble with the G44 when 9mm was expensive and I could use the same holster as my 19. Glad I did, one of the best purchases I made.

I would try it again, AS i heard the first batches were horrible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Ruger SR22 is surprisingly reliable for the price point. Just can't let it get too dirty. I've heard the Taurus is too. No personal experience with it though. It seems a lot of guys shoot competition with it just on the amount of Tandemkross available accessories for it. The new Sig I have not heard any reports on.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sinister, I'm with you. It seems that a lot of the issues are "new" in the last 10-15 years. I struggle with reliability in .22 autos, especially pistols. Most reliable I have experienced-- Ruger 22/45 Lite. Least reliable or at least a contender-- Ruger LCP .22. This thing has a lot going against it, the same stuff all pocket .22's have, like the spring balancing act between not enough / too much. I will give them credit for the hammer spring being very strong for such a small gun but still with the misfires. I ran it 20-plus rounds without the extractor recently to prove to a friend that straight blowbacks don't really need one except for extracting live rounds. Like with the Beretta 21A, with which I have considerable experience. No extractor. The LCP22 has one but it is very weak and usually won't extract a live round. In either of these pistols a misfire becomes a complicated cluster. Bang bang click, cycle the dud out only it doesn't come out so now it's a double feed. With the LCP22 you can, kinda, press in on the front to the extractor to make it more effective in extracting a live one but it doesn't have the travel to make that 100% effective. I tried a heavier extractor spring but again, balancing act-- the slide would not close totally since, as in most .22's, the extractor gets cammed outward as the slide closes. Add a stronger recoil spring...? Might not cycle so reduce the hammer spring-- more misfires. Balancing act!

The 21A, if it's clean, it's kinda comical when unloading it, you flip the barrel up and the round comes flying out.

I'll admit I'm very tempted to try and make the LCP22 work. I already zero'd it, at least it's accurate enough that you could tell it was way off (some is, some ain't). I "adjusted" the sights by milling the rear down .026 and taking like .017 off the right side of the front. While I was at it I made the rear sort of a mini "Shield Driver" so it's one-hand rackable, because..... me so tactical :-).

But.... frustrating. My feeling, no one should put a pistol on the market that doesn't work reliably, especially when the target market is defense. At leas, at least, put something in the owner's manual something like, "We have tested this puppy with everything and the best results will be with.....".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast