Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms SLX microprism

Feedback Score

Primary Arms SLX microprism

Anyone use these? I just ordered a 3X. Do you like them? I got the 3X because I feel that if I got the 5X, I might want some kind of offset small red dot sight to go with it. I think I can use the 3X even for close up fast shots. I want this to be my only sight on the rifle besides buis. I've used 4X ACOG in the Army for fast reflexive fire and it worked pretty good with some practice. I like the price of the SLX microprism compared to an ACOG. I don't want a LPVO or a 1X red dot, just my preference.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've been playing with one for a few months as a poor man's acog. Works as intended. Might try the 5x model paired with a top mounted mini rds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I've been playing with one for a few months as a poor man's acog. Works as intended. Might try the 5x model paired with a top mounted mini rds.
    How do you like the mounting options? I guess it comes with 8 different ways to mount it, a bunch of different risers. It will also mount on mini ACOG mounts. With it cantilevered back, I am thinking of putting a rear buis in front of the optic with an ACOG quick detach mount, so if the optic was to fail, I could just remove it quickly and use irons. I don't even know if cowitness would work with a set up like that.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by e z money View Post
    How do you like the mounting options? I guess it comes with 8 different ways to mount it, a bunch of different risers. It will also mount on mini ACOG mounts. With it cantilevered back, I am thinking of putting a rear buis in front of the optic with an ACOG quick detach mount, so if the optic was to fail, I could just remove it quickly and use irons. I don't even know if cowitness would work with a set up like that.
    My setup is the rear buis in the normal position, with the microprism cantilevered back over the buis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    How is this sight working out? Any durability or unseen issues? I’ve got a 1-4 lpvo on my main gun (bought the scope used to see how I like it) and honestly don’t care for the weight on my go-to carbine. I also find myself just leaving it on 4x most of the time so this 3x microprism looks like a good compromise with 1/2 the weight. For the price I think it might be worth trying but would like opinions from those that have used it for a while.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    I've got an SLx 3x that I'm playing with right now and comparing to some of my other prisms.

For context, these are prism scope options I've got in my safe at the moment:

• PA SLx 3x (green illumination)
    • SwampFox Trihawk 3x
    • Trijicon TA33 3x
    • Trijicon TA110 3.5x
    • Elcan SpecterOS 4x

I think that context is important when I say that the SLx 3x is probably the one I would recommend to most people. It's represents the balanced option when it comes to price and performance. That is unless you also include the PA GLx 2x, which is better- but I think a lot of people are turned off by 2x magnification.

Optically, the 3x micro is good enough. It doesn't compete with my Trijicons or Elcan, but you wouldn't expect it to given the price points. It's still more than good enough for a general purpose 3x optic. I appreciate that it has an adjustable eye piece for a variety of vision circumstances (something sorely lacking from the high end options). The illumination is handled well, and it has a small form factor. PA has the best reticle design of them all, since it's the only one that even bothers with windage marks.

The Trihawk gives you a massive field of view, but comes with the expense of weight and mediocre illumination. I also don't like it's reticle as much.

I can't speak to durability since I don't abuse my stuff, but given the number of these little bastards out there getting used and abused in training or competition, I haven't heard anyone complain.

Honestly, I'd say go for it.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm happy with mine. I'm going to try the 5x at some point and see how it compares, but the 3x MicroPrism does exactly what I need it to.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    I've got an SLx 3x that I'm playing with right now and comparing to some of my other prisms.

For context, these are prism scope options I've got in my safe at the moment:

• PA SLx 3x (green illumination)
    • SwampFox Trihawk 3x
    • Trijicon TA33 3x
    • Trijicon TA110 3.5x
    • Elcan SpecterOS 4x

I think that context is important when I say that the SLx 3x is probably the one I would recommend to most people. It's represents the balanced option when it comes to price and performance. That is unless you also include the PA GLx 2x, which is better- but I think a lot of people are turned off by 2x magnification.

Optically, the 3x micro is good enough. It doesn't compete with my Trijicons or Elcan, but you wouldn't expect it to given the price points. It's still more than good enough for a general purpose 3x optic. I appreciate that it has an adjustable eye piece for a variety of vision circumstances (something sorely lacking from the high end options). The illumination is handled well, and it has a small form factor. PA has the best reticle design of them all, since it's the only one that even bothers with windage marks.

The Trihawk gives you a massive field of view, but comes with the expense of weight and mediocre illumination. I also don't like it's reticle as much.

I can't speak to durability since I don't abuse my stuff, but given the number of these little bastards out there getting used and abused in training or competition, I haven't heard anyone complain.

Honestly, I'd say go for it.

Thanks, that is a good review and comparison to the high end prism scopes. I’ll probably end up picking one up and I do like the looks of the cantilever mount ADM makes for it.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love the concept.

I too am trying the "poor man's ACOG" concept, and it's great. Got on of PA's 2.5xACSS optics, the older style, when they blew them out for 99 bucks a while back.

Fantastic setup. Have run it (on a light 16" middy) every which way, from 5 to 468 yards this far...close-in drills, SOTM, ringing steel at various ranges, run n' gun, low light, and gettin' down in the bubble shooting groups.

Have actually shot my best score to date on the MNQ with it, 30.32 w/ 1 miss = 15.

The optic is rugged and reliable. Love the ACSS reticle. The poor man's ACOG works great for me. It is the best of all worlds...just enough magnification for good PID farther out, and good accuracy at medium range, but not too much for close-in.

And much like with my LPVO, I have grown very fond of an etched reticle that's always there no matter what.

Rear BUIS for me is a folding Diamondhead that rides in back, underneath. Front is a fixed DD.

With mine, the only things I'd change are having a tactile lug on the illumination knob, and have a couple of lower settings, below level 1, which is almost too bright for when it's pitch black out.

But hot damn is it absolute daylight bright, which I do appreciate.

So, based on my experience with this one I wouldn't hesitate to use one of the newer, lighter, smaller 3x offerings. PA is good in my book.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 09-27-23 at 08:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the OG PA 4x prism which is still chugging along and have the new 3x micro with an RDS on an Arisaka offset mount. Good stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast