Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Valley of Tears on MAX

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33,141
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Valley of Tears on MAX

    Two episodes in and so far pretty good, reminds me a bit of "Munich" in terms of feel.

    I knew little or nothing about the Yom Kippur wars except what I read about in magazines like Soldier of Fortune. Everyone talks about the Six Days War, nobody talks about this one or the way it changed almost everything in Israel.

    Gear nerds will enjoy it. Everyone rolling khaki uzi slings with a shoulder pad. Some FALs here and there and both wood stock and folding stock Uzis everywhere.

    Originally produced as a tv series for Israel so the english dubbing is sorta distracting, but it's really well made and they obviously had a serious budget and lots of surplus gear (including tanks) sitting around.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,214
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think I saw this series on either Netflix or Amazon. It was pretty good in the beginning, then there was one or two things that really bugged me that I won't give away.

    This series will definitely make you want to buy an Uzi.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,809
    Feedback Score
    0
    I haven't seen it, but was part of an Israel post Yom Kippur war.

    Two Colonels in the reserve that were professors, if I remember correctly at Hebrew University( see foot note) came to the understanding that we would never have more troops than our enemies. So we needed better troops and extremely better equipment. It took a while, but the system bought into the idea. As a result one of the most "elite" and secretive units was created.

    IDF tracks kids progress through school, and selects kids for pilot training, to go through selection for the two most elite commando units which are like Dev Group and CAG. But now they would start looking for the nerds, to build a stronger Israel.

    A friend of mine may he rest in peace, Covid got him has a son that went through the program. The IDF sent him to school through PhD and put him to work. My own son was very briefly a candidate, but the determined the truth of the lad. Smart as hell, but intellectually lazy.

    Start Up nation is 100% because of this unit.

    Regarding Hebrew University it has a program for non Israeli kids to go there, HU is ranked in the top 100 universities in the world. Depending on the topic it ranks from 1 all the way down to 93 in the world. Here is the kicker the price tag is very low. It used to be like $4000 for the year, what is a a school like Harvard going for today?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,342
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I haven't seen it, but was part of an Israel post Yom Kippur war.

    Two Colonels in the reserve that were professors, if I remember correctly at Hebrew University( see foot note) came to the understanding that we would never have more troops than our enemies. So we needed better troops and extremely better equipment. It took a while, but the system bought into the idea. As a result one of the most "elite" and secretive units was created.

    IDF tracks kids progress through school, and selects kids for pilot training, to go through selection for the two most elite commando units which are like Dev Group and CAG. But now they would start looking for the nerds, to build a stronger Israel.

    A friend of mine may he rest in peace, Covid got him has a son that went through the program. The IDF sent him to school through PhD and put him to work. My own son was very briefly a candidate, but the determined the truth of the lad. Smart as hell, but intellectually lazy.

    Start Up nation is 100% because of this unit.

    Regarding Hebrew University it has a program for non Israeli kids to go there, HU is ranked in the top 100 universities in the world. Depending on the topic it ranks from 1 all the way down to 93 in the world. Here is the kicker the price tag is very low. It used to be like $4000 for the year, what is a a school like Harvard going for today?
    I watched most of the series when traveling for work as I don't have MAx....you will most likely really like the series and piss you off at the same time. The lessons learned from the war did build a stronger IDF

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,010
    Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Iím not paying for another streaming service, but adding this to a list to watch when available.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    6,695
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I haven't seen it, but was part of an Israel post Yom Kippur war.

    Two Colonels in the reserve that were professors, if I remember correctly at Hebrew University( see foot note) came to the understanding that we would never have more troops than our enemies. So we needed better troops and extremely better equipment. It took a while, but the system bought into the idea. As a result one of the most "elite" and secretive units was created.

    IDF tracks kids progress through school, and selects kids for pilot training, to go through selection for the two most elite commando units which are like Dev Group and CAG. But now they would start looking for the nerds, to build a stronger Israel.

    A friend of mine may he rest in peace, Covid got him has a son that went through the program. The IDF sent him to school through PhD and put him to work. My own son was very briefly a candidate, but the determined the truth of the lad. Smart as hell, but intellectually lazy.

    Start Up nation is 100% because of this unit.

    Regarding Hebrew University it has a program for non Israeli kids to go there, HU is ranked in the top 100 universities in the world. Depending on the topic it ranks from 1 all the way down to 93 in the world. Here is the kicker the price tag is very low. It used to be like $4000 for the year, what is a a school like Harvard going for today?
    I have a couple acquaintances who were with Sayeret Matkal, and one good friend who was with Duvdivan.

    RE: good TV and Israel, I just finished watching The Spy (Netflix), true story of Eli Cohen (played remarkably by Sacha Baron Cohen, who does a great job) who infiltrated high levels of Syrian government. Seven episodes I think, a great and compelling story,

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33,141
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I think I saw this series on either Netflix or Amazon. It was pretty good in the beginning, then there was one or two things that really bugged me that I won't give away.

    This series will definitely make you want to buy an Uzi.
    Thankfully I have a Uzi. Really made me never want to run an Uzi against AKs.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,809
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Thankfully I have a Uzi. Really made me never want to run an Uzi against AKs.
    It is the guy pulling the trigger, not the trigger.

    Having said that outside of an urban setting I would not want to have an uzi V a rifle at 200 meters or more.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33,141
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    It is the guy pulling the trigger, not the trigger.

    Having said that outside of an urban setting I would not want to have an uzi V a rifle at 200 meters or more.
    True but while I understand armored units using a compact weapon like an Uzi, the guys out on the frontier running 9mm against 7.62x39 faced a stacked deck. I expected to see lots more guys running FALs. For urban, especially CQB the Uzi was the gold standard for a long time, but like out said, at 200m...and honestly at more than 50m it's not something I'd want to do.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,809
    Feedback Score
    0
    Remember they were running open bolt guns in 73, I really hate open bolt subguns.

    I own a micro Uzi closed bolt in Israel, and boy did it make me a lot of money through the years because it was accurate beyond belief.

    I think except for covert missions and it doesn't matter if it is a civilian using it for PDW or lads running covert missions where premature loss of cover would really mess things up the day of like an MP5 is over. MP5K, minior micro uzi, BT TP9etc all fill this role.

    Part of the reason for my desire of a 357sig with Leighi Defense is to extend the capability of a small gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •