Thread: 870 trigger starting to get weird...occasionally trigger won't pull/saftey won't work

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

870 trigger starting to get weird...occasionally trigger won't pull/saftey won't work

Hey

I have been blazing through 50 or so rounds of buckshot every week through my old 870 police trade in. It's cheap "spectra shot" buckshot that I got dirt cheap. Anyway, today, I was blasting and the trigger didn't work. I felt for the safety and it wouldn't go back on. I racked the shell out and loaded a new. No change, Then I racked it a few more times and then the trigger worked again. I ignored it, and kept going. Then about 20 rounds later same problem. Any clues?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you removed the trigger assembly and checked for any obstructions? It’s been a while since I have owned a 870, but it was my rabbit gun of choice as a teen. The trigger assembly is easy to remove, just a couple of pins if memory serves.

Feedback Score
    I agree with Post2.

My similar story was with my Mossberg 590A1, which locked up while practicing at the range one time.
    Later, at home, I removed the trigger assembly and sprayed it out with an aerosol can of "Remoil".
    A small piece of gravel, maybe granite, fell out; probably only ~1/32" in size.
    Upon reinstallation, the gun has been working fine ever since.

I imagine that little piece of gravel entered the gun, possibly while using it with a joint Louis Awerbuck/Scott Reitz shotgun class I'd attended maybe a year earler, as I recall the range had much gravel underfoot that day; but really, the debris could have entered anytime or anywhere.

Pic of gravel removed from Mossberg.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by L-2; 05-28-23 at 23:02. Reason: add photo

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Cleaned mine out. Etc. same problem today. I will swap out trigger next week
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Post 4,

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ently-unlocked
    Not the same issue, but here's a malfunctioning-870 thread from another forum which was solved by tightening up the fore-end.
    Just an FYI. Let us know how it goes with that trigger/trigger assembly swap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Post 4,

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ently-unlocked
    Not the same issue, but here's a malfunctioning-870 thread from another forum which was solved by tightening up the fore-end.
    Just an FYI. Let us know how it goes with that trigger/trigger assembly swap.
    This, make sure the barrel/receiver interfaces are clean. I put the butt on the ground and lean onto the barrel while tightening the mag tube extension/nut.

Ive had this happen before I started the above.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Very interesting!

Christopher Columbus