Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Colt commando upper starting to get froggy

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Y’all are right! The bolt catch pin and spring are so badly peened it won’t fall out. I need to figure out how to get it out. Lol
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    OK, so I lightly filed the edge until the pin and spring popped out. What do you guys think I should do? just file it smooth? Swap the bolt catch? What causes that peening? My gun has a shitload of rounds and I do a lot of reload drills (lots of 7-10 round mags to maximize reloads. Just wear and tear or...?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post
    OK, so I lightly filed the edge until the pin and spring popped out. What do you guys think I should do? just file it smooth? Swap the bolt catch? What causes that peening? My gun has a shitload of rounds and I do a lot of reload drills (lots of 7-10 round mags to maximize reloads. Just wear and tear or...?
    Do you grip the gun by the magazine well? I've seen severe peening on bolt catches caused by people inadvertantly having pressure on it while the gun is cycling. Can you post some some pictures of the bolt catch? Also, replace the bolt catch, spring and plunger. If the parts are peened then they need to be replaced.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Not typically. I have a little hands stop on the rail that keeps my hand near the tape switch. I will replace all the bits.

Quote Originally Posted by danieljmaunder View Post
    Do you grip the gun by the magazine well? I've seen severe peening on bolt catches caused by people inadvertantly having pressure on it while the gun is cycling. Can you post some some pictures of the bolt catch? Also, replace the bolt catch, spring and plunger. If the parts are peened then they need to be replaced.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Well guys! Y'all fixed it. I took it out and ran 100 rounds of PMC and 16 rounds of 77gr. Did a bunch of reloads to maximize bolt catch engagement and everything ran great. Basically, the bolt catch spring pin hole was peened and no longer allowed it to put any tension on the bolt catch. Never had that issue in 25 years of AR shooting. I did order that special gas tube but I haven't installed it since everything is running well.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What did you do to fix it?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    What did you do to fix it?
    I knocked out the roll pin and removed the bolt catch. Then I took a small file and ran it along the perimeter of the pin/sping hole until the peened rim receded enough to release the pin and spring. Then I filed it back smooth. Then I replaced pin/spring and bolt catch. Works perfectly again.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Barrel replacement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234