Thread: The 85 RDF

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The 85 RDF

I have heard the RDF being called the Random Damn Flyer but this may be my new favorite bullet for longer distances out of a 223. Over the weekend I tagged a 10" circle at 1120 yards, out of my 18" Bartlein bolt gun. Elevation was 6600', which made it easier, but I was pumped.

LC Brass, ancient lot of H4895, and a Federal 205 primer.

It took 4 shots to make it happen and I didn't see anything to make me think the misses were because of the bullet. All the shots were very close, and I adjusted for conditions as they changed.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Haven't tried those bullets yet. The RDFs are usually expensive. A buddy gave me a handful 77s to try, but I've not yet messed with them. .223 bolt guns are so much fun to shoot.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Same thing only different as they say, the 30Cal RDF have always shot great out of my Rem 700- 06 and 3085R and others. I almost bought some of the 70grn RDFs from the shooter's pro shop cuz they had 15% off. I passed but at around $150ish for 1K that was a hell of a deal. Maybe next time, they seem to be in stock all the time, so I don't know if that's a sign that they suck or they just messed up a ton of them,LOL

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Haven't tried those bullets yet. The RDFs are usually expensive. A buddy gave me a handful 77s to try, but I've not yet messed with them. .223 bolt guns are so much fun to shoot.
    They are expensive unless you get then on sale. These were blems, but on paper shot a 0.4" 5-shot group in my testing. That's not good enough to win a benchrest competition but were good enough to hit a sub-minute target at long range.

The interesting thing is that Nosler load data shows a 2.260" COAL. I am running my loads much longer in the bolt action to get closer to the lands, as my experience with the 70 RDF is that they shoot much more consistent there.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Can you load them mag length? Shoot.. I'd buy a hundred at full price if they could be loaded mag length. Then I could shoot them against the Match Burner 85 for a fun test.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v