Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PMC X-TAC 55gr, a bit on the spicy side.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

PMC X-TAC 55gr, a bit on the spicy side.

Ran across this today, no one sprung a leak but the upper is done for.
    Lot # in link with pics, some pretty spectacular carnage.
    https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...fle-up.451096/
    Last edited by One More Time; 05-31-23 at 11:56.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ammo quality has suffered recently.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What's the mitigation? Weigh every cartridge individually to check for over-charge, or would that be paranoid?
    Last edited by Disciple; 05-31-23 at 13:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What's the mitigation? Weight every cartridge individually to check for over-charge, or would that be paranoid?
    Didn't think you could dramatically overcharge a rifle round as the case is almost full as it is.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Didn't think you could dramatically overcharge a rifle round as the case is almost full as it is.
    What else would cause this? I don't see how you would have only one cartridge out of a box with the wrong powder unless deliberate sabotage.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I dunno...I'm always a little skeptical of these reports.

Last time I saw an AR blown like that it was because a dude's "friend" fired a 300BLK in a 5.56 chamber. I saw that one in person and it was pretty similar damage. The bullet was sticking out of the muzzle and was like 2.5" long. Upper was blown to shit.

To get those pressures in a 5.56, it'd have to be a completely inappropriate powder, obstructed bore, oversized projo, or somebody not telling the full story...
    Last edited by kerplode; 05-31-23 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Depends on the powder. Some of the faster powders are high "ullage" where they're at max with a good bit of room left in the case.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Depends on the powder. Some of the faster powders are high "ullage" where they're at max with a good bit of room left in the case.
    Ah, okay. Any idea if that's what PMC uses? An overcharge would definitely be the simple way of explaining it.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ah, okay. Any idea if that's what PMC uses? An overcharge would definitely be the simple way of explaining it.
    I don't know about PMC's stuff. I'd guess it's a ball powder. Depends on the burn rate of the powder and how much could be in there. We shot the overcharged AAC ammo that's actually a compressed load, it didn't blow up any guns. I'm guessing AAC's powder is a slower burn, because if it was that overcharged and fast powder, it'd have at least ruptured a case head.

But to the points made, if the damage is that bad, you would be worried about an obstruction or something.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't know about PMC's stuff. I'd guess it's a ball powder. Depends on the burn rate of the powder and how much could be in there. We shot the overcharged AAC ammo that's actually a compressed load, it didn't blow up any guns. I'm guessing AAC's powder is a slower burn, because if it was that overcharged and fast powder, it'd have at least ruptured a case head.

But to the points made, if the damage is that bad, you would be worried about an obstruction or something.
    Yeah, that's what I figured.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast