Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MK12 optics discussion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    If you dial for elevation a Coniferous tree reticle is not needed. If you hold for elevation and windage, good luck without one at more than 600 yards in windy conditions.
    Yeah. I do both, depending on the situation. The biggest benefit is for followup shots and self-spotting.

The credo looks super interesting. I can swing 3oz cause its still 10oz lighter than my current scope.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was interested enough in the Credo HX to buy the 2.5-15 x 42mm model. I've only begun using it for load development, but like it enough that if I were to find another for the same price I'd probably buy it.

The glass is good, knobs are good (feedback is not great, but good enough), durability should be good, reticle is basic but functional, return to zero works well, etc. I've really got nothing bad to say about it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was interested enough in the Credo HX to buy the 2.5-15 x 42mm model. I've only begun using it for load development, but like it enough that if I were to find another for the same price I'd probably buy it.

The glass is good, knobs are good (feedback is not great, but good enough), durability should be good, reticle is basic but functional, return to zero works well, etc. I've really got nothing bad to say about it.
    The only thing bad about it is that's it's a Second Focal Plane scope. That design was state of the art in 2005. If you wanted a SFP scope you could have bought a Vortex Razor HD LHT and saved 3.5 oz's....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

MK12 optics discussion

For use on a precision rifle, I prefer FFP, but on a general purpose/hunting rifle I don't. The Trijicon currently lives on a 6.5 Grendel, but it'll likely get moved to a 6.5 CM light-ish weight bolt gun (after I buy said gun).

I've checked out the Razor HD LHT, but that 3.5 oz reduction comes with a price of $500. I don't choose optics based on one specification, like weight.

It’s definitely not one I’d choose for a MK12.
    Last edited by grizzman; 09-30-23 at 01:27.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you dial for elevation a Coniferous tree reticle is not needed. If you hold for elevation and windage good luck without one at more than 600 yards[/B] in windy conditions.
    More than 600yds I'm not shooting at with a 5.56.

Holding for both elevation and wind, that's an obvious recipe for disaster. Gotta obviously lock in elevation, hold only for wind. Getting back to my preferred HTMR reticle use.
    Last edited by Gargoyle; 09-30-23 at 08:04.
    KISS

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I demoed the Tenmile line. Everything was sexy AF about them, except the parallax was too exacting to lock in, and were mushy.
    KISS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    More than 600yds I'm not shooting at with a 5.56.

Holding for both elevation and wind, that's an obvious recipe for disaster. Gotta obviously lock in elevation, hold only for wind. Getting back to my preferred HTMR reticle use.
    One thing to consider is, for example, 3 targets at 500, 600 and 700 yards. You can dial for 500, then hold the difference for the other 2 and get quicker hits on all 3.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    One thing to consider is, for example, 3 targets at 500, 600 and 700 yards. You can dial for 500, then hold the difference for the other 2 and get quicker hits on all 3.
    Damn straight!
    KISS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I've done that with a 400 yard zero. Was able to make quick hits from 100 to 700, all known distances and holds with no wind.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Short answer No. Nobody makes a sub 20 oz with an Xmas tree reticle and a top end of 10-20x.

Weight wise, only 2, but both are SFP and no Xmas Tree, and the Nightforce is 20.5 oz:

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razo...le-HSR-5i~MRAD

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/rif...10x42-compact/

FFP and Xmas Tree Reticles in your desired power range exist, but all are over 20 oz.

Trijicon Credo 2-10x36mm 23 oz
    PA GLx 2.5-10x44mm 22.5 oz
    PA GLx 4-16x50mm 23.5 oz
    Athlon Helos 2-12x42 25.4 oz
    Athlon Helos 4-20x50mm 27.6 oz
    Nightforce 2.5-20x50mm 28.3 oz
    Vortex Viper PST 3-15x44mm 28.1 oz

There is also several Leupold scopes that fit, but since they basically charge an extra $500. per scope just for illumination vs non-illuminated models I don't find them at all desirable. You may however.

There may be others but these are all I can think of offhand.
    So the credo and athelon 2-12 are the only ones Id trade my mpo for. PA reticle options are unacceptable
    The nx8 is almost as heavy and the image quality is barely better- not worth the upgrade in price

Pst im paying $300 for 5oz, not worth it for me.

If i was starting over Id go credo, but the MPO served its purpose as a LR trainer. Ill probably throw it back on the 223 once i upgrade my bolt rifles scope and just deal with the weight. Image is acceptable (nx8-is) for 700-1k and reticle is fantastic.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-05-23 at 20:57.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234