Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optic for hunting Prairie Dogs

Feedback Score
    Keep us updated please. Maybe you find this resource helpful https://petgnearme.com/ . Quite good for pet owners
    Last edited by RonaldOO; 01-30-24 at 02:53.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonaldOO View Post
    Keep us updated
    As of right now, it is mounted with a Trijicon Credo 2.5-15 X 42 SFP scope in Mil.

I am debating selling it and get a FFP scope but I have trouble seeing the reticles on every FFP scope that I have tried (SWFA 6X, SWFA 3-15, Sightron STAC 3-16). Either usually I can't see the reticle when I am in shade and the target is in shade (on the SWFA). It just disappears to my eye unless I put a toilet paper tube over the occular so that the only light that is coming into my eye is coming through the scope. Works good then, but otherwise, not enough light is making it through the scope for me to see it in lower light.

The STAC has such a fine reticle (.05 Mil) that it is impossible to see the hash marks until I am at least 8X and at 14X+ the chromatic aberrations were so bad it looked more like a kaleidoscope than an optic. The image also smeared really bad with the slightest head movement.

The Credo 2.5-15 is okay. The reticle is hard for me to see as well (.035 Mil) but being SFP it is easier to see than the FFP that I have tried and it does have illumination although it annoyingly lights up the entire reticle. I think it will work okay for shooting prairie dogs in the bright sunlight, but that is all I can use it for.

I really want to get a scope that I can use for PDs and shooting other things. So far, it seems to be a unicorn.

I am also questioning if I really need a FFP scope since I will be shooting a 300 yds and in most of the time. 400 yds max.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You are going to have a ton of fun…we use cz bolt 22’s for these ground squirrels with a vortex 4-16 viper with Christmas tree reticle. The glass quality is good enough, optic is cheap and reticle is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DVC
    ABS : Cars = CTC Lasers : Pistols

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So yeah, it's not really "hunting" per se...More like plinking at live animals. And you honestly don't need a fancy optic. I used to kill slews of them with a Walmart blister-pack Tasco 3-9 on a 10/22. I don't do it anymore because these days I'm not really into killing things for entertainment. It damages my karma and I prefer to just leave them to their business. But I suppose it is fun and is worth experiencing so you do you. Not like they're endangered or anything.

Anyway, the Trijicon you have now will be fine. As long as the glass is clear and the zoom is reasonable enough for you to see a coke-bottle sized thing at 400yds well enough to provide it a clean death, you'll be fine. I don't think you need FFP for prairie dogs, but if you find your multi-purpose unicorn optic, having FFP won't hurt you. You can go as fancy as you want. I know guys running $2k Mk5 HDs and $4k ZCOs on their prairie dog rifles. A suppressor can be helpful if you have access. After a while of shooting, they'll scram down their holes...Less noise stretches out the session.

Main thing is to take sunscreen and lots of water 'cause you'll be sitting in the sun all day.

Feedback Score
    Unless you’re getting paid to do pest control by a rancher, leave the prairie dogs alone. You shouldn’t eat them because they can carry plague, and they’re not hurting you or anyone else.

Buy some steel targets to plink on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    So yeah, it's not really "hunting" per se...More like plinking at live animals. And you honestly don't need a fancy optic. I used to kill slews of them with a Walmart blister-pack Tasco 3-9 on a 10/22. I don't do it anymore because these days I'm not really into killing things for entertainment. It damages my karma and I prefer to just leave them to their business. But I suppose it is fun and is worth experiencing so you do you. Not like they're endangered or anything.

Anyway, the Trijicon you have now will be fine. As long as the glass is clear and the zoom is reasonable enough for you to see a coke-bottle sized thing at 400yds well enough to provide it a clean death, you'll be fine. I don't think you need FFP for prairie dogs, but if you find your multi-purpose unicorn optic, having FFP won't hurt you. You can go as fancy as you want. I know guys running $2k Mk5 HDs and $4k ZCOs on their prairie dog rifles. A suppressor can be helpful if you have access. After a while of shooting, they'll scram down their holes...Less noise stretches out the session.

Main thing is to take sunscreen and lots of water 'cause you'll be sitting in the sun all day.
    Absolutely agree. I've found that your experience will depend on how conditioned the prairie dogs are to human activity. On land that gets hunted alot, they are more wary and you'll need a gun that can reach out and touch them. Otherwise, something like 17 HMR works well. Also, don't underestimate how many rounds you may end up shooting on your trip. It can really add up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12