Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mak 90 prices

Feedback Score
    I think I paid $219 for a Mak90 in the very early 90's.

Shot it until it had throat erosion and finally a chunk of the rear trunnion in the locking area broke off. The gun still fired because I found the piece & noticed where it came from after firing it more.

Sold the gun with disclosure for I think $300 about 5-8 years ago. It had a good run but needed a new trunnion & barrel at that point.

It never malfunctioned, except for some ammo duds. I did not lubricate it like I should have.

Ive had other AK's, a Vz58, RPK, SKS's, and an RPD. AR's, too, of course. Sold them all. (Ok, have one AR left, will probably sell it, too)

My favorite rifle today is a Tavor 7. I'd fire it more if I had more places to do so. Have a can in jail for it, that should give me more options.

The classic AK is best employed as a powerful submachine gun. It can be used as a rifle for short ranges.
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-10-23 at 07:04.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    He probably got the most out of it he could.

Prone, nice rest, had a spotter, known distance, mild wind. (6-16 mph)

He missed 10 of 26 for a 62% hit rate on a torso from 150 to 500 yds. Most of the misses were beyond 300 of course.

Still, pretty good for 2x magnification, an AK, and typical 7.62x39 ammo. Not the best use of the weapon. But it looks like a fun day and I envy their range.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How many rounds in your Mak 90 before it broke?

The link only shows that it is an effective rifle to 300 yards, and yes you need to be proficient and of course others have more on this. I don't think anyone should be trying to hit anything at distance in other than a supported position - even with a more accurate rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    How many rounds in your Mak 90 before it broke?

The link only shows that it is an effective rifle to 300 yards, and yes you need to be proficient and of course others have more on this. I don't think anyone should be trying to hit anything at distance in other than a supported position - even with a more accurate rifle.
    I'm bad about keeping track. Mostly do that by how many cases I'd bought. It was less than 20k rounds. I'd expected it to last at least twice that. But I was bad about not lubricating it near adequately and most of the rounds were burned through quickly. I burned myself alot on that gun and melted alot of wood and plastic handguards.

I agree about taking precision aim needing to be from supported of course. I was getting at that it wasn't a field-type position of opportunity but a proper range-rest.

Mine was minute of torso to 150 yds even with a little wind and irons. But with a 3x scope 250-300 yds and some wind would really confirm the guns' reputation as inaccurate. (Well, the gun, ME, and cheap ammo missing as a team)
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-16-23 at 17:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The classic AK is best employed as a powerful submachine gun. It can be used as a rifle for short ranges.
    While maybe the design warrants this thought, I think Larry Vickers shows the limitations of the AK in full auto.

It DOES make sense somewhat in suppressive fire - and I think why the STG 44 opened eyes. There is a role for full auto in suppressive fire/overwatch in small unit maneuver.

Something you cannot do with a Thompson or MP 40 is to place somewhat accurate FA fire on a position 150-250 out and keep them at bay while you fire/maneuver on them. Of course now you are supported and using concealment/cover.

Back to LAV: The AK is more accurate than most assume, and the AR more reliable. Of course this all varies by gun.

Now, back to the MAK 90 (or at least the preban) type of Chicom AK with irons;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFgyQuTVxpU

So.. effective with irons to 300 yards and that is the point - the argument for the assault rifle. With optics you move farther out, but again, effective as a rifle to combat distances.

Back to the OP: MAK 90 prices remained suppressed until after the Russian rifle import ban. That changed much. You could nail a MAK 90 for $300-500 all day until that ban, because you could get a decent SGL or SLR for $800-1000 - who needed a MAK that needed conversion? Saiga's were cheap and more attractive to convert.

The Russian import ban hurt - but ONLY US gun owners.
    Last edited by m4brian; 07-11-23 at 10:05.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123