Thread: "What happens when you land on the wrong aircraft carrier"

Feedback Score

"What happens when you land on the wrong aircraft carrier"

I'm going to guess that this tradition isn't around any more? Or at least much reduced?

https://www.jetsprops.com/fighters/w...rdM5duWqr302fo

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That is great, I have never seen that before. I am a WW2 Pacific theater buff and have read many books- carrier warfare in its infancy is particularly interesting with the skills and bravery of those naval pilots something to be in awe of.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    I’m sure it doesn’t happen much because chances are only one carrier is in the area these days.

Feedback Score
    Flenna, you may already have found this channel, but here is a link to the best naval history resource on YT, imo.

https://youtu.be/y0JV8djSNvk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    I’m sure it doesn’t happen much because chances are only one carrier is in the area these days.
    I believe this was done intentionally during the Viet-Nam War.
    Damged planes were sent to the nearest location possible. I seem to remember reading something about this.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Doing that is legend in the Navy. Of course, the better the tech got, the less you would see this. But it still would happen to damaged aircraft that had to land on the nearest carrier during Vietnam. I recall hearing an A4 pilot say once that he would rather eject over open water than land on the wrong carrier.

Feedback Score
    From the pictures I've seen, carriers have their hull numbers painted in large white characters on the flight deck and also on the island. In daytime with clear weather this should be hard to mistake (I would think).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love Navy tradition, always have. Such a great history. My dream as a teenager was to be a structural mechanic on F-14s at NAS Miramar, that place was pure magic. Didn't work out as I get seasick pretty bad, so USAF it was ...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    As long as it wasn't the enemy's ship I'd think it would be a win, conversely that probably wouldn't be a pretty picture.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 06-05-23 at 03:57.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    I love Navy tradition, always have. Such a great history. My dream as a teenager was to be a structural mechanic on F-14s at NAS Miramar, that place was pure magic. Didn't work out as I get seasick pretty bad, so USAF it was ...
    I visited there in the early 90s before Topgun was transferred to Fallon. A lot of navy bases and air stations have an aura, a mystique, and that was one of them. I had gone through afterward, too, after the Marines got the base and it just wasn't the same.