Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16" Build

Feedback Score

16" Build

My plan was to build a durable and reliable general purpose rifle, for deer hunting, home defense, SHTF. I didn't want a red dot sight and I didn't want a LPVO. My plan was to put a 4X ACOG on it. I probably will eventually put an ACOG on it, but I wanted to try this Primary Arms 3X microprism. I haven't shot this rifle yet, but so far this PA optic looks good for the money. I saved some money on the rail, it's a blem that I got for half price but there is no blem anywhere on the rail. I am also really impressed by this Forward Controls/Schmid Tool 2 stage trigger.

Upper
    LMT upper receiver
    LMT BCG
    Geissele MK16 15" rail
    Daniel Defense 16" government profile
    Daniel Defense pinned gas block
    LMT gas tube
    Match rear buis
    Unity micro hub mount and front buis
    OD green Modlite 18350 PLHV2
    LMT A2 flash hider
    Primary Arms SLX 3X microprism
    Magpul and Rail Scales rail covers

Lower
    LMT MARS L receiver
    LMT buffer, tube, and spring
    Forward Controls/Schmid Tool 2 stage NiB trigger
    Forward Controls end plate 3 position QD
    Forward Controls castle nut and trigger guard
    Radian Raptor charging handle
    Magpul MOE SL stock
    Magpul MOE+ grip
    Magpul OD green 2 point sling

Last edited by e z money; 06-03-23 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Looks like a quality build, range report when you get out.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Looks great!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    How does that BUIS work in front of the optic?

That’s a good looking rifle…
    Last edited by BangBang77; 06-04-23 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang77 View Post
    How does that BUIS work in front of the optic?

That’s a good looking rifle…
    Can't see it through the optic. A mini acog mount works with these optics, I am thinking I will get one with a quick detach throw lever. That way if the optic fails, I can remove the optic and use the irons.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quality build! Hammer a stake or two on that end plate and it'll be complete.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Quality build! Hammer a stake or two on that end plate and it'll be complete.
    There are a few small things I need to do to finish it up. Stake the end plate, QD attachment for the sling. The handguard screws are not tight yet because I am waiting for the gas tube pin from LMT. Also I don't know if I need to tighten the flash hider more. When I put it on hand tight, it was about half a turn from timed. I didn't seem like it was fully tight after I tighten it half a turn with the wrench. I don't know if I should go one more full turn.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by e z money View Post
    There are a few small things I need to do to finish it up. Stake the end plate, QD attachment for the sling. The handguard screws are not tight yet because I am waiting for the gas tube pin from LMT. Also I don't know if I need to tighten the flash hider more. When I put it on hand tight, it was about half a turn from timed. I didn't seem like it was fully tight after I tighten it half a turn with the wrench. I don't know if I should go one more full turn.
    The flash hider is tight enough for sure. Doesn't need to be cranked down beyond crushing the crush washer a half turn. Also, you can pick up the gas tube roll pin from anywhere. An LMT one isn't going to be any better.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    The flash hider is tight enough for sure. Doesn't need to be cranked down beyond crushing the crush washer a half turn. Also, you can pick up the gas tube roll pin from anywhere. An LMT one isn't going to be any better.
    Thanks for the info. I won't tighten the flash hider anymore. The LMT pin was on my front porch when I got home from work. It was only $3.50.

I learned a lot from this build. Even though I haven't shot it yet, I discovered that I like Geissele rails, Daniel Defense barrels with pinned gas blocks, and LMT receivers, bcg, buffer tube, buffer, and spring, Schmid trigger.

At first I had doubts about the pinned DD gas block. I thought with continuous heating and cooling the pin might come loose, but after driving that pin inplace, I don't think it's going anywhere. Seems really solid. I would be interested if anyone has a pic of how far in the pin should be driven into place.

I think this rifle came out exactly as I wanted it, with the exception of possibly putting an ACOG on it in the future. That would make it perfect. Now I have a Geissele barrel that I was planning on using. On one hand it's good to have a spare barrel, and on the other hand, it will probably lead me to build another rifle. I am thinking if getting the SOLGW gas block that I have, pinned to the G barrel and getting a BCM 15" rail, with LMT receivers, bcg, and buffer tube.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There's a saying around here: 2 is 1, and 1 is none. You'll have essentially 2 of the same rifle, but that is not a bad thing at all. Go shoot the crap out it and have fun.

If you decide you don't want the 2nd barrel, you'll have no trouble selling it. Heck, I might even pick it from you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast