Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Hunters Have Done

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

What Hunters Have Done

My buddy at work and I were talking about all the animals we see when we visit the Midwest that were rare or non-existant when we were kids and we both said the same thing in unison "The generations after ours have no idea the wildlife exists because of sportsmen (and sportswomen)." I am sure most of the younger folks think that PETA and WWF are responsible for the conservation that happens in the US. Its sad.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-05-23 at 18:55.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Well yeah it’s sad.
    The new Gen are brainwashed morons.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    They think hunters are evil helping balance the imbalance people have created.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    all the animals we see when we visit the Midwest that were rare or non-existant when we were kids
    Such as?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Turkeys - Yotes - Bears - Lynx to name a few. There were zero of these roaming when I was running the woods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Such as?
    My dad still talks about how his mom woke him up as a kid to show him some whitetail deer across the road. It was the first time he had ever seen any, as they used to be rare. And this was in rural Kansas.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Such as?
    Turkeys, grouse, eagles, cranes, mountain lions, elk, comorant, multiple small birds. Honestly, pretty much all the migratory birds have increased in the 40 or so years since I was a teenager. Jackrabbit are still scarce in western SD, sadly.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Turkeys, grouse, eagles, cranes, mountain lions, elk, comorant, multiple small birds. Honestly, pretty much all the migratory birds have increased in the 40 or so years since I was a teenager. Jackrabbit are still scarce in western SD, sadly.

Andy
    I forgot about the Eagles. Also Trumpeter swans are making a comeback as well.

Feedback Score
    One of the only cool things I actually learned from a hunter's ed course was about the portion of firearms and ammo sales tax that goes to support conservation. That's a voluntary tax I can get behind.

Feedback Score
    Anti hunters have a lot of misconceptions and just ridiculous beliefs about hunting. In California they ban mountain lion hunting but then use tax payer money for game wardens to kill them and throw them in open pits, when they could be getting money that hunters pay for licenses, hunting gear, food, and lodging.

Another thing I've noticed is reactions to pics of animals killed by hunters in Africa, like elephants, rhinos, lions, etc. Anti hunters become irrational and furious at the sight of these pics. What they don't know is that the money from hunters is supporting these wildlife refuges, paying for biologists, game officers to stop poachers, and other wildlife management. The animals that are shot legally in these pics are usually older males that have stopped breeding and are aggressive to other younger males and keep them from breeding, or it may be an aggressive animal that is killing young animals. Biologists have determined that these animals need to be culled for the benefit of the heard. There are hunters willing to pay big money to harvest that animal, that money goes to the benefit of the game preserve. Often the hunters give much or all the meat to the local village. Legal hunters, hunters that understand and respect wildlife management is the reason so many animals are making a come back. 100 years ago people didn't understand wildlife management. We are now seeing the results of modern wildlife management. Look at how many more whitetails and turkeys there are now, compared to 50 years ago. Many anti hunter will never understand these things because they think irrationally. Legal ethical hunters are funding wildlife management all over the world. The anti hunters need to put their money where their mouth is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast