Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Statistics

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Statistics

Interesting article especially considering the number of times I have been told my position on statistics(frequently whatever the producer wants it to indicate) was just ignorant.

https://decider.com/2023/06/01/imdb-...ittle-mermaid/

Feedback Score
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" -Mark Twain. Or, figures don't lie, but liars do figure, if you prefer.
    There's a similar, very old saying: once you believe something, the evidence for it is everywhere. I've seen that in action all my life.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    An example with far more import is p-hacking.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t know if I would equate data/fact based statistics to an internet rating system for movies.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I don’t know if I would equate data/fact based statistics to an internet rating system for movies.
    I think they are close. The covid stats were one I was told I was ignorant on due to learning that deaths due to covid included a motorcyclist divided up over a stretch of asphalt, some dude who died of alcohol poisoning, and other similar deaths who just happened to test positive for covid which didn't exactly seem to be on the level either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I think they are close. The covid stats were one I was told I was ignorant on due to learning that deaths due to covid included a motorcyclist divided up over a stretch of asphalt, some dude who died of alcohol poisoning, and other similar deaths who just happened to test positive for covid which didn't exactly seem to be on the level either.
    I’m not saying they can’t be manipulated. Seeing all the statistics coming out on covid now shows they can’t be manipulated for long. I’ll take it one step further and say that many of the “statistics” we were being given during the pandemic weren’t even statistics, they were lies. Like many things, statistics can be manipulated. I just wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m not saying they can’t be manipulated. Seeing all the statistics coming out on covid now shows they can’t be manipulated for long. I’ll take it one step further and say that many of the “statistics” we were being given during the pandemic weren’t even statistics, they were lies. Like many things, statistics can be manipulated. I just wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
    I think statistics are great for QC in a manufacturing environment. Outside of that, not so much so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I think statistics are great for QC in a manufacturing environment. Outside of that, not so much so.
    What about statistics for making an argument against an assault weapons ban? We can use the statistics compiled by the same government proposing a ban to show how flawed their argument of “protecting lives” is. If their goal was to truly protect lives they would be calling for the ban of handguns that are responsible for 97% of gun deaths, not the ones responsible for 1-2%.

Like I said, statistics can be manipulated and some hold higher credibility than others. As long as there are intellectually honest people willing to dive into them, they are still a valuable tool.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What about statistics for making an argument against an assault weapons ban? We can use the statistics compiled by the same government proposing a ban to show how flawed their argument of “protecting lives” is. If their goal was to truly protect lives they would be calling for the ban of handguns that are responsible for 97% of gun deaths, not the ones responsible for 1-2%.

Like I said, statistics can be manipulated and some hold higher credibility than others. As long as there are intellectually honest people willing to dive into them, they are still a valuable tool.
    They want to ban handguns too, so not seeing how that is helping and lying with numbers has always been part of the anti 2a operation.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Makes me think of Penn & Teller's Bullshit! episode "Numbers"
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast