Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Statistics

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    What about statistics for making an argument against an assault weapons ban? We can use the statistics compiled by the same government proposing a ban to show how flawed their argument of “protecting lives” is. If their goal was to truly protect lives they would be calling for the ban of handguns that are responsible for 97% of gun deaths, not the ones responsible for 1-2%.

Like I said, statistics can be manipulated and some hold higher credibility than others. As long as there are intellectually honest people willing to dive into them, they are still a valuable tool.
    The best argument against any gun control law is "No."
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    What about statistics for making an argument against an assault weapons ban?

In the context of refuting lies from gun-grabbers I might use statistics, but I would not use statistics to rationalize the 2A. I mean, if it could statistically be proven that gun bans reduce crime and murder are you going to give up your guns? I’m not. My God given and Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms isn’t reliant on a societal statistic of the day.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-06-23 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    What about statistics for making an argument against an assault weapons ban?

In the context of refuting lies from gun-grabbers I might use statistics, but I would not use statistics to rationalize the 2A. I mean, if it could statistically be proven that gun bans reduce crime and murder are you going to give up your guns? I’m not. My God given and Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms isn’t reliant on a societal statistic of the day.
    The statistics are on our side for that one too. Did you see this thread that touched on that?

I asked Bard about crime and firearm ownership…
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    73% of all statistics are made up......
    73% of statistics and quotes on the internet are made up...
    Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I don't mind the anti's using valid statistics in their argument. I DO mind them from keeping me from doing the same to shred their biased and one-sided arguments. Put it all on the table, let the truth come out.

Seeing this locally. Our fair city is portrayed as The Wild, Wild West with running gun fights and blood in the streets. The problem with 'their' argument is this only holds true in about 15-square blocks. 98% of all shootings occur in that area. Outside of that area is VERY safe.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    73% of statistics and quotes on the internet are made up...
    Abraham Lincoln
    I didn't know Lincoln was a statistician.....
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    The statistics are on our side for that one too. Did you see this thread that touched on that?

I asked Bard about crime and firearm ownership…
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    I understand. But what happens if/when 'Bard' says the opposite?

Regardless if I live in a crime-free or crime-ridden society, my Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear stand. 2A doesn't require a supporting statistic for whatever criminals are doing.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-07-23 at 07:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    I understand. But what happens if/when 'Bard' says the opposite? Regardless if I live in a crime free or crime ridden society, my Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear stand.
    If we find our selves in that scenario we’re either being lied to or we’re living in a new Wild West. Regardless, I agree with the second part of your statement.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I don't mind the anti's using valid statistics in their argument. .
    That would be a welcome change.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    No kidding.

I have had three; two at the grad school level. I left more confused than when I started.
    As someone without a stats degree I wonder about this. There is a lot of math I am not smart enough to understand, but what I do manage to follow becomes useful and illuminating rather than confusing. Naively it appears to me that statistics is fundamentally about understanding and describing what you are sampling and the biases of the way in which that sample is taken. How does this high school perspective differ from statistics at an advanced level?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast