Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Dead in Private Plane Crash.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I call Cessnas "Mountain Slammers". I wouldn't get in one of those American Mediocrity shit boxes EVER!
    If you knew any of the “Union Thugs” at Boeing you’d not wanna fly period.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel556 View Post
    Chiming in as a Montain Slammer pilot thought not type rated in a 560 that this aircraft was. This is a very successful model and has flown for nearly 40 years in various formats. It is a big single pilot rated jet but many operators use two pilots. It’s possible that there was a pressurization issue however that would have multiple warnings and indicators before FL300 where a problem was identified if something was wrong on takeoff and climbing through 12k’. Because of that, pilot incapacitation should still remain high on probable causes. BUT, like carbon monoxide, pressurization failures can be insidious if there is a moderate leak somewhere. A round trip flight like they took would likely put passengers on alert and someone would likely be pushing buttons or something in the cockpit after the expected flight time elapsed if they were conscious. I hope for their sake they did have a pressurization failure and were unconscious. That spiral at the end is akin to running out of fuel and airspeed decay. Sad. This owner just purchased the aircraft and was back home in Florida while his family flew around in it. Heart wrenching for him.
    Great input, thanks. Heart wrenching for sure. I can't imagine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Glock talk member says the plane was owned by a female board member of the nra and her daughter and grandchild died in the crash.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Reminds me of the Payne Stewart plane crash in the Dakotas. Didn't realize it was 24 years ago, I thought it was much more recent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_S..._Learjet_crash
    What came to mind too.

I recall listening to the radio while that one was happening.

Feedback Score
    John Rumpel owned the aircraft, his daughter and granddaughter were on the plane along with a nanny and the pilot. He lost another daughter at the age of 19 in the 1990’s in a scuba accident. This article identifies the family. This is very sad. People buy jets (regardless of some opinions) to fly safely with redundancy and the pilots are held to a higher level of training as well, and this has got to be the worst feeling for him.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/plane-c...t-family-died/
    Last edited by Gabriel556; 06-05-23 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel556 View Post
    John Rumpel owned the aircraft, his daughter and granddaughter were on the plane along with a nanny and the pilot. He lost another daughter at the age of 19 in the 1990’s in a scuba accident. This article identifies the family. This is very sad. People buy jets (regardless of some opinions) to fly safely with redundancy and the pilots are held to a higher level of training as well, and this has got to be the worst feeling for him.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/plane-c...t-family-died/
    Barbara Rumpel is an NRA board member.

Feedback Score
    If it was a depressurization then everyone is screwed. Having said that, if I was on an aircraft that had a disabled pilot (as in unable to fly, not a paraplegic or something) I would make damn sure I at least tried to fly the damn thing using the radio and coaches as a guide. It would be hard not to panic but I'll be damned if I didn't give it a try......you're gonna die for sure if you do nothing and curl up in a ball. Might die anyway but at least give it a whirl and you just might make it.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 06-05-23 at 17:48.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    If it was a depressurization then everyone is screwed. Having said that, if I was on an aircraft that had a disabled pilot (as in unable to fly, not a paraplegic or something) I would make damn sure I at least tried to fly the damn thing using the radio and coaches as a guide. It would be hard not to panic but I'll be damned if I didn't give it a try......you're gonna die for sure if you do nothing and curl up in a ball. Might die anyway but at least give it a whirl and you just might make it.
    I too was in the Military and have OJT'ed at nearly every F'ing job they had.
    If I can run a buffer, I can fly a plane.

Feedback Score
    You guys are right. Many of us who have dealt with disasters can and will do that. But I would hazard to say neither of the two adults in the back had any clue what to do and even if they were conscious would have looked at the panel with 45 switches and gauges that tell them nothing in English, and been overwhelmed with terror.

My wife rides in a Citation once in a while, and while I might have a fighting chance this isn’t a slow flying trainer plane any idiot can land in a field. She’s asked me what would happen if her pilot had a medical emergency, and I try to get her into the sim at Flight Safety to see. But it wouldn’t end good. This type of aircraft would take someone with intimate knowledge of the plane telling a non-pilot exactly what to do to get it down from FL350 onto pavement.

Feedback Score
    ATC lost contact with the Citation about 15 minutes after departure

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/05/us/vi...day/index.html
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast