Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger springs.

Feedback Score

Trigger springs.

Hey does anyone know if there is a visual way to tell a springs pull weight? I bought a couple of packs of reduced power trigger spring sets. In a well meaning but ultimately flawed act of kindness all of my springs have been mixed together in a single container and was hoping there was a trick to sorting them out, short of installing them one at a time in my jig and testing the pull weight. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Curious about this too. I imagine wire gauge, number of coils, and angle of legs have something to do with it.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I think I would start from scratch and buy new springs... If testing them is a PITA...

Feedback Score
    A standard trigger spring is supposed to generate 1.23 to 1.73 lb-in at 45 degree deflection.

Set the spring down on a table with the closed bow up, and press down on the closed bow until it just does not touch the table. The force required should be around 5/8 to 3/4 pound.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Try measuring the wire diameter.

You should know which springs are in the packs and likely how many of each you have.

For example, 2 light, 2 medium and 2 heavy from two packs.

Measure the wire and match up like items.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I don't remember how many of each set I have. I'll give these ideas a try and worse case I'll spend a day testing them in the jig. Thanks again everyone!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    A standard trigger spring is supposed to generate 1.23 to 1.73 lb-in at 45 degree deflection.

Set the spring down on a table with the closed bow up, and press down on the closed bow until it just does not touch the table. The force required should be around 5/8 to 3/4 pound.
    lysander, your wealth of wisdom is always admired. Every post you make has useful info in it. Thank you for sharing.

HOW did you learn all this info ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    lysander, your wealth of wisdom is always admired. Every post you make has useful info in it. Thank you for sharing.

HOW did you learn all this info ?
    I have access to many of the drawings, and most of the test reports.

Also, the standard trigger spring should be 0.036" diameter wire with one-and-a-half turns on each side that are 0.360" in diameter.

You can get a lighter spring by increasing the coil diameter, increasing the coil diameter, or reducing the wire diameter.
    Last edited by lysander; 06-09-23 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    I have access to many of the drawings, and most of the test reports.
    Wait... ( and LOL ) a "library" exists ?

Man... I could spend a lot of time there.

Again, Thank You

Feedback Score
    Hey everyone, so I figured it out. I finally broke down and just put them on my jig. For future reference the difference is the type of wire. The ones looking like copper (it's just a copper coating not sure of actual metal)tested at 4.8 to 5lbs of pressure, where as the steel springs came it at 3.6 to 4lbs. I measured all of them an they all had the same diameter and number of coils. Thanks again for all the suggestions! I really appreciate this community.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast