Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Itching for an integrally suppressed 10.5, suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Just build a dedicated upper and pin a can on it. Use a tube from BRT to reduce the gas or get a small port barrel, and use a 2 piece handguard or one that will fit over the can.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just noticed that Silencer Shop has a free tax stamp special on the DD ISR: https://www.silencershop.com/promos/...r-milspec.html

It's still expensive as hell though.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    How often do you travel out of state with an AR? Will you travel with this AR? That is really the only reason in my mind to do it. I dont think its worth the stamp. Maybe in a 22lr. For $200 more you would be better off to SBR a lower and buy a can even if its direct thread.

556 guns with a can get very hot, and if the can is under a handguard the handguard gets very hot. Like, doesn't matter if your wearing gloved hot.

There is a reason it's a niche product.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Personally I would pass on a setup like this. IMO the juice isn't worth the squeeze just to save $200 on a tax stamp.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    There's a reason integrally suppressed ARs aren't everywhere. Actually, there are several.

Heat is a major issue. Most integrally suppressed designs place the can under the handguard. The handguard gets hot and the heat gets distributed across the entire handguard. I've shot the Gemtech one and it was good for less than a magazine without gloves. The S&W/Gemtech rep suggested having separate duty and training rifles or uppers (sure...).

Serviceability is also a problem. If you can't remove the can, it's harder to clean the barrel. If the can is serviceable (such as a pinned sleeve and removable core), there is generally a weight tax (since most 5.56 cans are welded baffle stacks).

Performance is also a factor since there just aren't that many options out there so you're sacrificing access to the best designs for the integral design.

Finally, price. You're probably not going to see a cost savings over buying the components separately, so the most you're going to save is the $200 stamp on the SBR.

The only scenario I see where an integrally suppressed AR makes sense is in a state where a suppressor is legal and an SBR is not.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Itching for an integrally suppressed 10.5, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    There's a reason integrally suppressed ARs aren't everywhere. Actually, there are several.

Heat is a major issue. Most integrally suppressed designs place the can under the handguard. The handguard gets hot and the heat gets distributed across the entire handguard. I've shot the Gemtech one and it was good for less than a magazine without gloves. The S&W/Gemtech rep suggested having separate duty and training rifles or uppers (sure...).

Serviceability is also a problem. If you can't remove the can, it's harder to clean the barrel. If the can is serviceable (such as a pinned sleeve and removable core), there is generally a weight tax (since most 5.56 cans are welded baffle stacks).

Performance is also a factor since there just aren't that many options out there so you're sacrificing access to the best designs for the integral design.

Finally, price. You're probably not going to see a cost savings over buying the components separately, so the most you're going to save is the $200 stamp on the SBR.

The only scenario I see where an integrally suppressed AR makes sense is in a state where a suppressor is legal and an SBR is not.
    I have a can tucked under a lancer carbon fiber handguard on one of my ARs, and actually my MCX too.

Carbon fiber really doesn’t get anywhere near as hot and it’s very light too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    How often do you travel out of state with an AR? Will you travel with this AR? That is really the only reason in my mind to do it. I dont think its worth the stamp. Maybe in a 22lr. For $200 more you would be better off to SBR a lower and buy a can even if its direct thread.

556 guns with a can get very hot, and if the can is under a handguard the handguard gets very hot. Like, doesn't matter if your wearing gloved hot.

There is a reason it's a niche product.
    I will not SBR a rifle, just won’t do it.
    It’s not about money, and I know it may sound silly, but I simply will not.

However some mentioned having a suppressor pinned to a barrel which I hadn’t thought of. I have a Gibbs side charging upper laying around that would be great for the application, and I’d much prefer an 11.5 to a 10”.

How the gemtech patrolman regarded? Well?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The other option that is designed for pin and weld applications is the Griffin GP5.

A 10.5" barrel works great for dedicated suppressed use unless the extra velocity of the 11.5" is required.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I've had an earlier gen patrolman for several years now. No issues with it, it is not pinned but resides full time on an 11.5 middy upper. It's pretty light and short and has less backpressure than a saker k. I don't use patched jags or foaming cleaners. Be really careful checking alignment before test firing and pinning.

Feedback Score
    Just noticed this thread and coincidentally enough I recently picked up a Gemtech Integra in 5.56 (and the Integra for the M&P 15-22 as well but I digress). I'm pretty happy with it, it runs great without any hiccups and basically all you hear at the ear is the sproing of the buffer spring. The handguard does heat up if you rapidly dump a mag or 2 but otherwise it's very comfortable though it is on the heavier side. I'm shooting yotes and pdogs with it the next time we head out west.
    Last edited by b_saan; 06-21-23 at 12:11.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast