Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Yup. Using generic ammo for precision testing is pointless. It isn't worthless, because you are still training and using your fundamentals, but if you are trying to dial in new equipment it is going to be very limiting.

Since I'm cheap, I'll use any generic bullet to get on paper and semi close to zero'd in to my target when setting up new items (new scope, mount, sights, or whatever). Once I'm pretty close, I'll switch over to higher quality ammo.

I shoot steel ammo at times (don't think less of me), and when it comes to distance work, I'm often just happy to hit the target most of the time. I do NOT expect a 400 meter target to have decent groups when shooting reduced IPSC sized steel. Not with junk stuff.
I just discovered better quality "match ammo".... I used to use 55gr for all of my shooting needs, which is typically 2 gun competition. Now I'm using 55gr for most match stages and 77gr IMI for longer ranges. I use up my steel case stuff on the really short range stages, shoots softer too so better splits..... I sighted in with the 77gr stuff.