Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 Mag S&W pistol

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

.22 Mag S&W pistol

Always been a fan of the .22 Mag. Great plinker, small game, practice rnd. I had a 9 shot revolver when I was a kid, loved that gun. Making a reliable rim fire pistol has always been a challenge, appears S&W has got that fixed. 30rnd capacity. Kel-Tec makes something similar earlier than S&W, not a brand that interests me personally:

Definitely not my choice for SD, but I can see a lot of uses for such a pistol:

Last edited by WillBrink; 07-11-23 at 10:19.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I received an email from S&W about it today. I already have a rifle chambered for 22 Magnum. However, the price of ammunition is just under 9mm which makes it not worthwhile in a pistol in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I received an email from S&W about it today. I already have a rifle chambered for 22 Magnum. However, the price of ammunition is just under 9mm which makes it not worthwhile in a pistol in my opinion.
    Ammo costs are an important variable there as to value no doubt.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    IF it is anything like my Keltec PMR 30 in .22WM, then I would pass. The PMR 30 is known for being very picky about how the ammo in loaded in the magazine. It is also common for the "soft" cases of .22 WM to get damaged.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post

Definitely not my choice for SD, but I can see a lot of uses for such a pistol:

Like what? Please elaborate "lot of uses for such a pistol".
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I like my M&P Compact 22lr with threaded barrel but I don't see any point to this one.

Feedback Score
    Years ago, I had a couple of Automag !!'s in 22 Mag. If nothing else they would leave a Foe "deaf" , me too !!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think it would be a really fun gun to shoot. Especially with the 30 rd mag. But after the novelty wears off and the realization of how expensive dumping 30 rd mags of 22 mag at dirt clods is, along with the realization that a pistol barrel doesn't really take advantage of the 22 mag's potential velocity, it would probably start to lose it's luster. I've got a 22lr Ruger mark 4 already and it's good enough for cheap pistol practice on steel or paper and 10 rds in the mag is enough. I can plink or hunt grouse with it. If I were hunting coyote or other small game with a 22 mag I'd rather have it in a rifle, if I were pistol hunting anything bigger than a grouse I'd rather use a 357 revolver, if I need a full size pistol for self defense I'd rather a 17 shot 9mm. I just don't really see the point of a 30 rd 22 mag pistol or what role it would fill that my other guns don't already do. , Although it is a cool gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I think it would be a really fun gun to shoot. Especially with the 30 rd mag. But after the novelty wears off and the realization of how expensive dumping 30 rd mags of 22 mag at dirt clods is, along with the realization that a pistol barrel doesn't really take advantage of the 22 mag's potential velocity, it would probably start to lose it's luster. I've got a 22lr Ruger mark 4 already and it's good enough for cheap pistol practice on steel or paper and 10 rds in the mag is enough. I can plink or hunt grouse with it. If I were hunting coyote or other small game with a 22 mag I'd rather have it in a rifle, if I were pistol hunting anything bigger than a grouse I'd rather use a 357 revolver, if I need a full size pistol for self defense I'd rather a 17 shot 9mm. I just don't really see the point of a 30 rd 22 mag pistol or what role it would fill that my other guns don't already do. , Although it is a cool gun.
    For small critters (raccoon, possum, etc) do you think the rugger 22/45 would accomplish the same results?

We live next to a creek so we always have nuisance critters in the area. A couple Peta wannabes in the neighborhood will call the popo if the see you out with a rifle, so I'm stuck using a handgun for this purpose, and 9mm is a little loud so that's why I stick to rimfire guns.

A raccoon ate a hole into my neighbors garage not long ago, so that is why I dispatch them on sight now.

I was thinking the .22 mag might be more humane but as you said the short barrel of a pistol might take away the advantage of that caliber.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I could be wrong, but a 22 mag out of a pistol might not be quieter than 9mm. It might even be louder, especially if it's compared to a heavy 9mm subsonic. I hadn't considered the possibility of shooting coons and possums around the home because we don’t really do that around here. But that's the great thing about forums like these because there's so many different people from different places who can add a different perspective.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast