Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FN SCAR 15P and its 7.5" barrel? Practical?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Man. I absolutely hate shooting the Scars that are regular size. This this would be torture.... as well as the (already pointed out) stupidity of any 7.5 5.56 gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Practical? Yeah, sure. Give it to the # guy in the stack, we won't need bangers...

No. To me, 10.3 is the minimum "practical" for 5.56mm.

You want les, as so many others have said, you go .300BO.

So thanks FN, neat toy. Some neckbeard will buy it and piss off everyone around him at the gravel pit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like the CZ Bren 2 is offered in a similar format too.

Maybe an FN 5.7 Pistol or something similar is a better option. I have been looking at the B&T USW-A1 and Glock chassis for a similar option to give me a better long-range performance option while still staying in a near "true" pistol size though shoulder stocking a pistol would be pure NFA territory like a shoulder stocked FNC or Bren pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 7.5" pistols are popular, and really kicked off with the Noveske Diplomat. While they might not be practical for people engagements, they can be plenty of fun for paper and steel, and there is nothing wrong with that. If anyone has the 7.5" barrel, and wants to use it for people, please look at soft point 5.56 low velocity expansion ammo, don't try to rely on fragmentation from OTM or FMJ ammunition.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The 7.5" pistols are popular, and really kicked off with the Noveske Diplomat. While they might not be practical for people engagements, they can be plenty of fun for paper and steel, and there is nothing wrong with that. If anyone has the 7.5" barrel, and wants to use it for people, please look at soft point 5.56 low velocity expansion ammo, don't try to rely on fragmentation from OTM or FMJ ammunition.
    Yes, with the right ammo it could be effective for things around my farm/ranch like those 40gr loads out of my SR-15 LPR. Great little hand grenades for chicken-killing dogs!

For YouTubers throwing steel-cased FMJ downrange for click-throughs, it is a total waste IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Why does someone have to justify buying this gun? It’s got cool factor. It would make a great truck gun. Use some 55gn gold dots ( which expand at real low velocities). Somebody else mentioned that they should just go 300 BO. Well if someone already has 223/556 and doesn’t want to add another round into their arsenal then it doesn’t make sense. To many other push what they think everyone else should have.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Why does someone have to justify buying this gun?
    I've always felt that way for my own purchases in regards to firearms. If I like it, I like it. If someone knows the pros and cons of what they are getting, it really shouldn't matter what other people think.

Being that most of our shooting is done for training or fun, and that the same skills transfer over, its all good in my book.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Why does someone have to justify buying this gun? It’s got cool factor. It would make a great truck gun. Use some 55gn gold dots ( which expand at real low velocities). Somebody else mentioned that they should just go 300 BO. Well if someone already has 223/556 and doesn’t want to add another round into their arsenal then it doesn’t make sense. To many other push what they think everyone else should have.
    I was going to post, but you nailed it. If I really had to justify what I purchased, I wouldn't have near the cool collection that I've been able to acquire. I do like knowing about the theoretical pluses and minuses, but I still enjoy shooting guns that are not the best. That said, I do try to be practical and limit cartridges. I have 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 guns. 300BO is too in between them for me. I'm thinking about buying one of these, but then there's the price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I was going to post, but you nailed it. If I really had to justify what I purchased, I wouldn't have near the cool collection that I've been able to acquire. I do like knowing about the theoretical pluses and minuses, but I still enjoy shooting guns that are not the best. That said, I do try to be practical and limit cartridges. I have 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 guns. 300BO is too in between them for me. I'm thinking about buying one of these, but then there's the price.
    If this was offered in 300BO, I think it would have a lot of appeal to a broader market segment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    If this was offered in 300BO, I think it would have a lot of appeal to a broader market segment.
    I completely agree, though I wouldn't buy one simply because I'm avoiding the cartridge. If they offered one with a 10.5" to 12.5" barrel, it would have more appeal as well. I would probably have bought one instead of my SCAR16.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast