Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega 9K 1st can. Meh.

Feedback Score

Omega 9K 1st can. Meh.

Unless it's drastically quieter on my AP5 than it was on my AP5K I'll say, "Meh". (Fiocchi 147 gr and 158 gr PPU)

I was hoping it would be considerably quieter on the Vz-61 (Trilug adapter) than it was on the K, but not really. I mean it is quieter on the .32 but in the same bracket.

The bracket is it's hearing safe for a mag or two.

The Omega 9k made my guns sound like a sub-sonic .22 does without a can. Still loud enough you should wear ear pro. And loud enough that a listener 100 yds away will know you're shooting a gun. (I think)

So what does it get me? Well, I can shoot with just muffs, and it would be fantastic for HD because it's quicker than throwing on electronic ears.

I couldn't use the can on the AP5 because the trilug has too much play. I ordered a direct thread adaptor for the can.

Should I get a full-size can or will I be somewhat disappointed with that, too?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Hollywood is a facade.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Omega 9K 1st can. Meh.

I’ve always heard to start with a full size can because almost everyone that starts with a shorty is disappointed in the sound reduction. You’re already into the NFA world now, might as well have a full size too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I think the Omega 9K is the best ban SiCO makes. The suppression it provides for the length makes it a super practical can.

I use mine on pistols most of the time but appreciate the flexibility to put in a PCC or 300blk SBR to take the edge off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve always heard to start with a full size can because almost everyone that starts with a shorty is disappointed in the sound reduction. You’re already into the NFA world now, might as well have a full size too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Probably a good idea.

Hopefully my adapter comes in so I can try it on the AP5.

I'm not expecting it to be dramatically quieter. But a little.

Considering next a full-size can for .32 / 9mm or a .223 or .30 cal. can for a .223 16 in. rifle.

I've been waiting for Allegheny Arms to get Beretta .32 barrels but they won't be any quieter than the Vz61. That makes me think either I won't bother or I need a bigger can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Hollywood is a facade.
    I knew the K-can wouldn't be as quiet as a full-size can.
    I was hoping for very loud hand claps, port noise, and action noise. But I got unsuppressed .22 / fire cracker-level noise.
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-19-23 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I was hoping for very loud hand claps, port noise, and action noise. But I got unsuppressed .22 / fire cracker-level noise.
    You're not gonna get "very loud hand claps" with a full-sized can, either. The loudest recorded hand clap was 117.4 dB, and the record before that was 113 dB; a suppressed .22 LR using a full-sized can is as loud as 113 dB.

The human ear is terrible at judging volume without side-by-side comparisons, and even then, it's not very good.

Beyond that, while someone might be able to hear a suppressed 9mm shot at 100 yards away, would they know what it is? The change in acoustic signature is one of the key advantages of using a can, beyond simple suppression, along with visual signature reduction.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    You're not gonna get "very loud hand claps" with a full-sized can, either. The loudest recorded hand clap was 117.4 dB, and the record before that was 113 dB; a suppressed .22 LR using a full-sized can is as loud as 113 dB.

The human ear is terrible at judging volume without side-by-side comparisons, and even then, it's not very good.

Beyond that, while someone might be able to hear a suppressed 9mm shot at 100 yards away, would they know what it is? The change in acoustic signature is one of the key advantages of using a can, beyond simple suppression, along with visual signature reduction.
    Thanks for the insight.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-11-23 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Ambient noise drastically influences the way that we perceive, or don’t perceive, noise.

The way that you perceive .22lr subsonic unsuppressed to be similar to 9mm subs, suppressed, is about on par. Even with a very good silencer on a semiautomatic host, action noise is very loud.

Drop the bolt empty on your host a few times late at night in your quiet house while your wife is sleeping with an open door in the next room, and you’ll see what I mean. HK slap. Better yet, don’t actually do that, just think about it, because I don’t want your wife to murder you for waking her up several times.

Point is, you may need to manage your expectations. Your Omega 9k is widely said to be a very good can, especially for its length. You should definitely get a longer can, just because, and it will be fun to compare them.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I compared the Omega 9k vs DA Wolfman and thought the Wolfman would be a much better choice.

The DA is very versatile and can be run in short and long config. Friend got both. I tried them on my Banshee 8”. The wolfman in short config is quieter than the 9K with subs and supers.

I couldn’t tell the difference between the short and long configs with subs by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast