Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Omega 9K 1st can. Meh.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I dunno yet. I found a can meant for .32 acp I could shoot .32 and also .25 acp through if I get Beretta barrel threaded.

And while I'm selling off some .45 acp pistols I've got a Beretta96A1 .40 I'm going to put an RDS on. Perhaps someone makes a threaded barrel for that?

Really though, I think I'm going to get the most enjoyment from cans on rifle calibers and the .22-.32's.

Edited to add:
    .40 through a .45 can would be louder than 9mm through a 9mm can. .25 acp through a .32 can louder than .22 through a .22 can. So I think I can drop those ideas.

If I do the .25, I need a .22 can bored and marked to be a .25 can. .25 uses fast powders. Could suppress better than .22lr. I dunno. Want to try.
    Ecco Cheetah?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the .25 being underbore for a .32 can, given that its prolly a teensie short blowback gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Ecco Cheetah?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the .25 being underbore for a .32 can, given that its prolly a teensie short blowback gun.
    Yup. Would look good in Dark Bronze.

I probably should have tried harder regarding getting a .25 threaded before getting the 21A .22lr. But with the current $150 rebate going I went ahead and got one.

.25's are more reliable and with FMJ bullets and faster powders wouldn't dirty up a can like .22lr does.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-12-23 at 06:20.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Unless it's drastically quieter on my AP5 than it was on my AP5K I'll say, "Meh". (Fiocchi 147 gr and 158 gr PPU)

I was hoping it would be considerably quieter on the Vz-61 (Trilug adapter) than it was on the K, but not really. I mean it is quieter on the .32 but in the same bracket.

The bracket is it's hearing safe for a mag or two.

The Omega 9k made my guns sound like a sub-sonic .22 does without a can. Still loud enough you should wear ear pro. And loud enough that a listener 100 yds away will know you're shooting a gun. (I think)

So what does it get me? Well, I can shoot with just muffs, and it would be fantastic for HD because it's quicker than throwing on electronic ears.

I couldn't use the can on the AP5 because the trilug has too much play. I ordered a direct thread adaptor for the can.

Should I get a full-size can or will I be somewhat disappointed with that, too?
    The point is a can that is usable and not cartoonishly large but yet still hearing safe. Love my Omega 9s.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Okay I've changed my mind and have come to appreciate the Omega 9k.

I appreciate the shorter length & lighter weight.

What also helped push me into the "fan" corner is I found it's hearing safe on my Beretta M21A .25! Yea, a little big for the M21A, but it works great!

Works well on my Beretta Cheetah .32's and VZ61, too, when using milder loadings.

Feedback Score
    ~ decade ago, I sat in the basement of SiCo for a week, working on this.. what became the 9K, as a professional end user. Made of off the shelf parts bin components, used in a novel manner. Larger rifle baffles welded together sans tube. I wanted more internal volume and was using optics on glocks, so a fatter tube was fine and did not obscure view. Added and subtracted baffles until I got what I wanted... factoring in -shoot ability, -concealability, -noise

Longer cans have crap handling and recoil characteristics.
    It was just short enough to conceal under a jacket.
    Decent suppression. It is robust for a pistol can and you can safely run it very wet... noticeably quieter.

This design sat in the basement for months and became a favorite of the employees shooting down in the basement range. One day SiCO called and asked if they could produce it for commercial sales. I told them no problem.

I have not tried the new SiCO compact Tii pistol can, but looks promising.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA5326 View Post
    ~ decade ago, I sat in the basement of SiCo for a week, working on this.. what became the 9K, as a professional end user. Made of off the shelf parts bin components, used in a novel manner. Larger rifle baffles welded together sans tube. I wanted more internal volume and was using optics on glocks, so a fatter tube was fine and did not obscure view. Added and subtracted baffles until I got what I wanted... factoring in -shoot ability, -concealability, -noise

Longer cans have crap handling and recoil characteristics.
    It was just short enough to conceal under a jacket.
    Decent suppression. It is robust for a pistol can and you can safely run it very wet... noticeably quieter.

This design sat in the basement for months and became a favorite of the employees shooting down in the basement range. One day SiCO called and asked if they could produce it for commercial sales. I told them no problem.

I have not tried the new SiCO compact Tii pistol can, but looks promising.
    Well, thanks for it! (I'm the OP) If I see them on sale I'll probably buy another! That way I can semi-permanently secure the adapter. One for direct, one for tri-lug.

It won me over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123