Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buffer tube /detent issue

Feedback Score

buffer tube /detent issue

ok guys, I have a quick question. I have a factory Sionics lower that I pulled out of storage to pair with one of their Patrol III uppers that I picked up and noticed that the buffer tube seemed to not cover nearly as much of the bufer detent as my other ones. Sending off a message to Josh over at Sionics to see what he has to say about it, but I just wanted to have you guys weigh in and see if my OCD is just going into overdrive, or whether there really isn't enough coverage of the buffer pin

I don't really build my own lowers so all I know is that my other Sionics/BCM/SOLGW lowers cover about 50% or more of the exposed buffer pin while this one seems to only catch part of it.

SfmNZgT.jpg
    Last edited by msedward43; 07-20-23 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The problem when they stack like that is that if you turn the receiver extension/buffer tube one move revolution it will often be right up against the pin itself. That lip you can see on the end of the extension could be adjusted (material removed) so that you would be able to turn one more revolution, maybe.

I'd want more on there, but that's me. Could be that it will work forever.

I'm sure Sionics will try to make you happy.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    The problem when they stack like that is that if you turn the receiver extension/buffer tube one move revolution it will often be right up against the pin itself. That lip you can see on the end of the extension could be adjusted (material removed) so that you would be able to turn one more revolution, maybe.
    Personally, I wouldn't go cutting on my RE, an offset buffer retainer is a better solution to that problem.

https://gallowayprecision.com/offset...r-AR-15-rifles
    https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...-retainer.html
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I believe you'll want to check the internal depth of the buffer tube. From SOTAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAuTHPdUchU&t=397s

Feedback Score
    I have one or two like that. Sometimes that’s how it happens. There’s not enough room for another turn so you get just the lip. I’ve never had any problems out of lowers like this. I wouldn’t worry about it. If it really bothers you, you could try multiple other receiver extensions to see if one screws in a little more over the buffer retainer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I believe you'll want to check the internal depth of the buffer tube. From SOTAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAuTHPdUchU&t=397s
    it actually passed the quarter test.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Me, I don't like seeing them like that. I also want as much thread engagement between RE and lower as possible.

What I've done in similar situations, is undo things, and turn the RE in one more turn. If it doesn't play nice, I file a small round notch to accommodate the pin.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Me, I don't like seeing them like that. I also want as much thread engagement between RE and lower as possible.

What I've done in similar situations, is undo things, and turn the RE in one more turn. If it doesn't play nice, I file a small round notch to accommodate the pin.
    This is the way. Small round file does the trick. I forget who's RE was set up this way but it had a tongue with a notch in it. Might be PWS?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    This is the way. Small round file does the trick. I forget who's RE was set up this way but it had a tongue with a notch in it. Might be PWS?
    That I know of in alphabetical order: 2A Armament, Aero Precision, B. King’s Firearms, Dark Hour Defense, Patriot Ordnance Factory, Primary Weapons Systems, V Seven.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Would you not potentially run into the gas key contacting the receiver by doing this though? You're essentially shortening the RE by turning it in, no?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast