Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: buffer tube /detent issue

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Would you not potentially run into the gas key contacting the receiver by doing this though? You're essentially shortening the RE by turning it in, no?
    That is going the opposite direction; you would shorten the stoke and increase the gap between the carrier key and the receiver.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That is going the opposite direction; you would shorten the stoke and increase the gap between the carrier key and the receiver.
    Oh, duh.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would not feel good about shortening the buffer stroke. Not sure what a full rotation of the RE would yield, but I'd be concerned about it much more than leaving the RE as is in the pic.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I would not feel good about shortening the buffer stroke. Not sure what a full rotation of the RE would yield, but I'd be concerned about it much more than leaving the RE as is in the pic.

yeah, that's why I'm not taking out the receiver and tightening it myself. it passes the 2 quarter test already, any more and it would be over shortening the stroke IMO... I'm going to wait and see what Sionics replies back with first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The way I look at it is that if you can only turn the RE in far enough to barely make contact with the retainer pin then the stroke is probably on the long side to start with. However OP said in that config it passes the two quarter test, which has me wondering if the RE is out of spec itself.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    The way I look at it is that if you can only turn the RE in far enough to barely make contact with the retainer pin then the stroke is probably on the long side to start with.
    Could be. But based on the pic, I'm doubful you could expect another full turn.

However OP said in that config it passes the two quarter test, which has me wondering if the RE is out of spec itself.
    I'm betting the RE is a little shy of material in the front by the detent hole. But I wouldn't go as far as to change/replace it if it were my gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    That I know of in alphabetical order: 2A Armament, Aero Precision, B. King’s Firearms, Dark Hour Defense, Patriot Ordnance Factory, Primary Weapons Systems, V Seven.
    I've only seen the PWS enhanced buffer tubes with the notch. Always thought it was a good idea.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I've only seen the PWS enhanced buffer tubes with the notch. Always thought it was a good idea.
    There is a downside to them. If you have a jam or your bolt carrier is locked back and won't go forward. With a regular buffer tube you can just unscrew it and take it off. However if it's jammed, that type with the little wings won't allow it to unscrew off of the detent. So you actually have to cut off the buffer tube to fix the problem
    Last edited by msedward43; 07-21-23 at 18:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by msedward43 View Post
    There is a downside to them. If you have a jam or your bolt carrier is locked back and won't go forward. With a regular buffer tube you can just unscrew it and take it off. However if it's jammed that type with the little wings won't allow it to unscrew off of the detail. So you actually have to cut off the buffer tube to fix the problem
    Hmm, haven't seen a carrier stuck like that before. What would cause that?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Hmm, haven't seen a carrier stuck like that before. What would cause that?

not stupid common but I've seen it... for example, the buffer detent and spring coming out during fire and jamming up the front travel of the bolt lol.

the latest time I saw an issue was where the forward assist roll pin broke and jammed the carrier in the rearward position.

not like it's an every day occurence, but the buffer tube with the wings would make a siuation like that more problematic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast