Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's rare but I've been thinking about different powders

Feedback Score

It's rare but I've been thinking about different powders

Maybe a thread about individual powders best application. Or paring by bullet weight and cartridge. Some examples might be:

.22 Hornet and a 40 grain Nosler BT with Lil Gun powder, or .223 / 5.56 and IMR 8206 XBR with 77 grain bullets or .44 Remington magnum and Winchester 296 and 240 grain bullets.

Due to the relative expense or difficulty in acquiring such staples, I've found myself with a significant amount of AA 2015 which I've found to be outstanding in my 6 X 45 with 68/75 grain bullets; and am curious if anyone else has a "best" application for that propellant.

Regardless if you would like to talk a specific propellant please do so.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    I'll bite...

For years I used Unique for pistol cartridges, because 30 years ago the guy who taught me to reload (the then girlfriend's father) recommended it.

I then made the mistake of buying 8lbs of it (!), which has been enough to do tens of thousands of rounds of .380ACP and .40S&W, but I don't like it because it's smoky and dirty and doesn't lend itself to light loads (slow burn rate).

I'm finally down to just a pound or two of Unique, and I'll just use it up loading .30 Mauser.

Now I'm using Clays for .40S&W, and I just bought some HP-38 to load .380ACP. (I'm picking up an LCP Max in a couple weeks.)

I really do NOT want to wind up one of those guys who has 20 different powders on his reloading bench, but so far I also have only 2400 (for M1 Carbine and 10mm mag) and TAC (for .223 and .308).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    For years I used Unique for pistol cartridges, because 30 years ago the guy who taught me to reload (the then girlfriend's father) recommended it.
    <SNIP> but I don't like it because it's smoky and dirty and doesn't lend itself to light loads (slow burn rate).
    I remember my first loads of 45 ACP using that Hercules and Unique old fart powder. Same thing. What is this smokey sooty shit? Thankfully I only had a pound of that crap..
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, I can say I like sticking with same powders, and known good loads.

Experimenting all over the place would be fun, but it's costlier than sticking with same.

However, lack of availability at times has forced me to do ladder tests with new powders, which is exactly how I discovered I like H335 and CFE Pistol, so a blessing in disguise, I guess.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Experimenting all over the place would be fun, but it's costlier than sticking with same.
    When I first started loading, I wanted nothing to do with multiple powders and loads, etc. I eventually drifted away from that approach. Tinkering is fun for a while, but it gets old. Last 8 times we went out I had to set up the chronograph.

Some days, I just want to shoot!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Snip...

I really do NOT want to wind up one of those guys who has 20 different powders on his reloading bench, but so far I also have only 2400 (for M1 Carbine and 10mm mag) and TAC (for .223 and .308).
    Unique is a great powder, especially if you're shooting 38/357.

Nowadays if I was going to get 8 lb of something I'd probably want blue dot instead, which is largely been unobtanium.

Add 2400 & TAC (or CFE223) and I would have decent loadings for all my various calibers.

2400 is magic: 30 carbine, 41 mag, and accurate blooper loads for 308/7x57/30-06/8 mm. I use more of it than anything and have a dedicated little dandy thrower for 16 grains of 2400.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After many years of reloading, the versatility of the following powders across many different applications has been noted:

1. Imr 4064
    2. Red dot
    3. TAC
    4. H110

I have close to 20 different powders to pick from. Those 4 listed above can do it all from 30 carbine, shotgun, pistol, and medium bore large rifle.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    IMR 4064 is a great powder because you can't run it in a progressive, so you never want to use it all, and never run out of it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Your 4064 comment on 4064 has intrigued me. I don’t recall it metering significantly different than Varget. When I eventually find it again, I’ll try it with the 550. I use it for an M1 Rifle load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I tried it for the heck of it in my 550b. I didn't care about the inconsistency in charges, but the Bridging of powder caused a mess. Ended up getting powder all over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast