Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's rare but I've been thinking about different powders

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I never tried imr 4064 in my blue press. I do confess that despite a powder's burn rate and suitability in a particular cartridge, it still may be a pain in the ass to meter. As long as the powder throw falls within the desired node, decent results will occur regardless of some variation in velocity.

Feedback Score

It's rare but I've been thinking about different powders

I currently have 4 powders, all Vihtavuori.

N320 for 9, .40, & .38 plinking loads. Meters nicely, little smoke compared to W231, and pretty clean. Definitely the #1 powder I use. Good stuff.

N340 for .40 “warm” loads and .45 ACP and .357 loads. I’ve only actually loaded and shot .357 this far but I like it. Also meters great.

3N37 for all 10MM and hot .357 and 9 with XTP bullets. I’ve been shooting more 10MM and this works great. Going to test some warm 9MM XTP’s I loaded this week tomorrow.

I’ve not begun loading .223 or .308 yet but I plan to use N140 for both and have a couple pounds for when I finally get around to loading some. I have loaded some .223 at a friends with it. I was pretty happy with the results, but not a bench rest shooter so I cannot tell you much more than it consistently rang steel to 300 yards in my AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 07-28-23 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I really do NOT want to wind up one of those guys who has 20 different powders on his reloading bench, but so far I also have only 2400 (for M1 Carbine and 10mm mag) and TAC (for .223 and .308).
    No way I could store all of my powder on the workbench!

It will be a lot of years (and multiple burned out barrels) before I need to restock anything.

Wish I had a local reloading 'buddy' I could do trades with. Example: I used to use a lot of Bullseye and stocked up on it (12+ lbs currently) and then discovered AA#7... No freaking way I will ever use up all of that Bullseye now. Pretty much would be my LAST choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Wish I had a local reloading 'buddy' I could do trades with...
    Join a local gun club, and spend some time there...

I swap this'n'that constantly with guys from my club. It's a win-win-win: I de-clutter my reloading bench, acquire something I want, and help out somebody else...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You mean Varget isn't the answer to this question?

I'm guilty of always experimenting with different powders.

Most of what I reload for pistol is 9mm, 124 HP over N320 is a good practice load. WSF works well also in that application. Clays and Clay Dot work well with 135 and 147 grain 9mm bullets. It also works well for 45 ACP practice loads using 200 SWC bullets.

I have found that 8208XBR is very versatile and have used it in 223, 308, and 6BR. I have never tried 4064 but I have a friend that loves it. SW Precision is supposedly very similar and it works will with heavier bullets in 223 for me. TAC is another one that is very versatile but it can be temp sensitive so mind your pressures because they will increase with temperature.

For long range precision loads in 6X47L, Reloder 16 has been great. Since it has been so hard to come by, I am going to try N540 and N550 next.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    N540 is definitely worth your time. Meters very well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    You mean Varget isn't the answer to this question?
    Varget is a fine product, but I've always thought that more than half of the users don't know why they're using it, and would be better off with something else. I've read guys using it with 55gr FMJs. WHY?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12