Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SFAR

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Ruger SFAR

Observations from owning and shooting an SFAR Model 5611, 20” barrel. Ammunition used: Hornady TAP 80965 the 168 gr A-MAX. Shooting distance of 106 yards measured using SIG Kilo 2400 ABS range finder. Scope is Vortex PST2 3-15, FFP MOA and scope base is a Vortex one piece mount. Rifle, scope and mount weigh 9.2 lbs. Weather was sunny, 89 degrees, humidity 70%, and pressure 30.12.

Fired 60 rounds to zero, determine accuracy and as part of the 200 round break-in. Gas left on setting 3. Average velocity was 2630 using LabRadar. Accuracy was MOA or better. I am limiting factor on accuracy (76 and onset of essential tremors).

I experienced 3 failures to eject. When they occurred I believe I was not firmly holding the rifle - similar to cycling problems with a 1911 with a weak grip (limp wristing). Didn’t see damage to brass, however, I didn’t inspect every piece of brass.

I am happy with this rifle but will install a LimbSaver recoil pad and replace the charging handle with an Aero Precision Ambidextrous Handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    I love it, you're 76yo and still out there plugging away!

Is the barrel on those chrome lined or nitrided?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I love it, you're 76yo and still out there plugging away!

Is the barrel on those chrome lined or nitrided?
    “4140 chrome-moly steel barrel is cold hammer-forged with ultra-precise 5R rifling. The heavy profile barrel balances nicely and its attractive, black nitride finish helps ensure exceptional accuracy, longevity, and easy cleaning.” From Ruger site.

Completed jump qualification in 1968.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
    “4140 chrome-moly steel barrel is cold hammer-forged with ultra-precise 5R rifling. The heavy profile barrel balances nicely and its attractive, black nitride finish helps ensure exceptional accuracy, longevity, and easy cleaning.” From Ruger site.

Completed jump qualification in 1968.
    AIRBORNE!!! I went 17 years later in early 1985. 3/7 SFG ran an MTT jump school at Ft. Sherman in Panama.

BTW, you've got me looking at a 20" SFAR. Thanks damn it.....
    Last edited by ABNAK; 07-28-23 at 21:07.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I played with a SFAR today, dry…way lighter than any .308 AR I’ve ever handled.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I played with a SFAR today, dry…way lighter than any .308 AR I’ve ever handled.
    Wonder how it holds up long term? The originals were beefier for a reason.....
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    We’re I a younger man and looking for a DMR or Battle Rifle, I would have kept my LM308MWS, or purchased a KAC SR25 or a LaRue Tactical - there are several others but these 3 are my preference.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Wonder how it holds up long term? The originals were beefier for a reason.....
    Dunno. The bolt had some golden color, like bare heat-treated stainless silencers (Rex Silentium) have. I wonder what they did there.

Ruger’s of pretty much any flavor are known to be tanks, usually. Like, nobody’s breaking SP101s, GP100s, P-Series pistols, or M77-Series rifles. I think even their piston ARs were supposed to be pretty durable, in a time where some weren’t. The only thing I’ve heard of breaking on any Ruger has been on the American Ranch, I think the striker, and I think I remember their piston AR showing carrier-tilt wear in the buffer tube.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Dunno. The bolt had some golden color, like bare heat-treated stainless silencers (Rex Silentium) have. I wonder what they did there.

Ruger’s of pretty much any flavor are known to be tanks, usually. Like, nobody’s breaking SP101s, GP100s, P-Series pistols, or M77-Series rifles. I think even their piston ARs were supposed to be pretty durable, in a time where some weren’t. The only thing I’ve heard of breaking on any Ruger has been on the American Ranch, I think the striker, and I think I remember their piston AR showing carrier-tilt wear in the buffer tube.
    Interesting, as their website curiously doesn't say anything about a coating on the BCG, just the nitrided barrel.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    From Ruger: The bolt carrier assembly features a chrome-lined 8620 steel bolt carrier and nitride-processed gas key staked in place. The titanium firing pin has been DLC-coated for long service life. The bolt includes dual ejectors and an optimized extractor to ensure positive extraction and ejection of the spent case through the enlarged ejection port.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast