Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your can is too hot to cook with. It's time to leave...

Feedback Score

Your can is too hot to cook with. It's time to leave...

What do you do now?

Your suppressor is catalytic converter hot. You don't want to try & remove it. Where would you put it if you did? You can't put the rifle in its carry case, either.

Is there another option besides waiting? Maybe a special container it could be put in if it was removed?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I bought a surplus machine gun barrel bag for this very reason.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I've found some pouches that claim 1800 deg F safe and are made for transporting a hot suppressor.

Some are faily cheap. Makes me wonder if they'll do the job.

I don't know how much an oven mit can take. I'd think 500 deg briefly. A suppressor can be hotter.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I just put it down, somewhere it can’t burn or melt anything, with the bolt or slide locked back, play a round of Sudoku on my phone or check M4C, or shoot a different gun, and when its cool enough to remove, I crack it loose. Or when its cool enough, I throw the whole gun in its case or bed of my truck or whatever.

Some mount types (probably most) should be allowed to cool before removing.

Edit to add, lighter cans generally cool faster. Especially the larger diameter ones.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-29-23 at 12:24.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I go do some pistol shooting while it cools off.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You can use one of those barrel fans to help cool things off.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Poor water on it. I've grow to hate suppressors... except for bolt guns.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    You can use one of those barrel fans to help cool things off.

I watched a YT vid where a guy experimented to see the difference in barrel cooling time with or without one of those fans. The results were disappointing, unfortunately. It just seems that they can't move enough air.

I hesitate to use MarkM's idea, as rapid cooling and contraction of the suppressor sleeve would have the tendency of stressing the welds to the point of cracks. Perhaps @Lysander could shed some light?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Poor water on it. I've grow to hate suppressors... except for bolt guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I watched a YT vid where a guy experimented to see the difference in barrel cooling time with or without one of those fans. The results were disappointing, unfortunately. It just seems that they can't move enough air.

I hesitate to use MarkM's idea, as rapid cooling and contraction of the suppressor sleeve would have the tendency of stressing the welds to the point of cracks. Perhaps @Lysander could shed some light?
    ‘Spritz’ it with a atomizer water sprayer so it’s a mist?

For a wrap or something, even if that material is rated, if you put that then in a bag, the energy has to go somewhere. Maybe it slows the flow enough to keep nylon or PP from melting? 200-250C
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I use a suppressor cover from Armageddon gear that is rated to 800 degrees. They work pretty well, and also keep the heat mirage down when shooting suppressed with a PRS rifle.

This one from Cole-TAc is supposedly rated to 3,000 degrees https://www.cole-tac.com/product/htp-suppressor-cover/ , but not sure i believe that. I've melted parts of other brand suppressor covers before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast