Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your can is too hot to cook with. It's time to leave...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    ‘Spritz’ it with a atomizer water sprayer so it’s a mist?

For a wrap or something, even if that material is rated, if you put that then in a bag, the energy has to go somewhere. Maybe it slows the flow enough to keep nylon or PP from melting? 200-250C
    I imagine light but continuous misting would be a lot more effective than something like a barrel cooler, but would need to be light enough to prevent large differences in temperature from one part of the structure to another. OTOH, I've seen video of people dumping their smoking hot cans in a barrel of water, with no immediately obvious ill affects, so I may be way off on this.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I don't understand why "misting" would work better than moving air.

The droplet would have sit on the surface, absorb heat, then be blown off.

Is that what happens?

I know it works on people. But skin is different than metal.

I've heard of guys doing this with hot vehicle differentials after road course action. But I'm not sure why a light mist of water adds to the effect of fresh air blowing over hot metal parts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

Is that what happens?

I know it works on people. But skin is different than metal.

I've heard of guys doing this with hot vehicle differentials after road course action. But I'm not sure why a light mist of water adds to the effect of fresh air blowing over hot metal parts.
    Because water has a much much higher heat capacity than air. IIRC, the ratio is about 4:1. An example might be why modern engines are water vs air cooled. Water is simply able to absorb and transfer way more heat than air, allowing engines to make a lot more power.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Even more significant is the latent heat of the phase change to vapor.

Feedback Score
    That’s my geeks…. Yep, that transition from liquid to gas is a big energy suck.

Implicated in this is metallurgy, which I thought was one of those 19th century things, but far from it. I do think that ceramic type material is the next real frontier. Imagine if silica were the main material, and you had nuke or other renewable energy to convert it with AI robots. Free + Free = Not that much. Think Robbie the RObot in Forbideen Plant…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score

Misting works better because there are far more water molecules in a given volume of space than there are gaseous molecules in the same volume of space. Each water molecule that hits the surface takes energy with it as it turns to steam. Take a look at the graphics in the link below.
    https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshel...ids_and_Solids

This is why water is almost always used to cool large internal combustion engines instead of air. Water has also been used to cool some machineguns, though it's pretty inconvenient.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

I.C.E. cooling I understand.

I wasn't sure exactly how misting helped.

Also, the water in the mist has to evaporate. Water in Florida air is tougher to evaporate when the humidity is high...which is nearly always.
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-29-23 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Also, the water in the mist has to evaporate. Water in Florida air is tougher to evaporate when the humidity is high...which is nearly always.
    If the item to cool is over 100C that shouldn't matter as the vapor pressure overcomes atmospheric pressure.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

I.C.E. cooling I understand.

I wasn't sure exactly how misting helped.

‘Wicking’ fabrics actually work here in CO…

I brought up the misting just as a way to avoid a large thermal change over a short time from ‘dunking’. Though, if you dunk the whole thing, it probably would cool fairly evenly- though you’d have a bunch of steam coming up the barrel.

Related to the misting, would be the use of water/water-glycol water induction systems on WWII airplanes.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’ve always allowed enough time to mostly cool, but also wrapped in ammo box cardboard if it’s still a little hot. I picked up a curling iron holder recently but haven’t used it yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast