Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 62gr Fusion MSR vs 5.56mm 77gr Black Hills TMK

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Comes down to barrel length IMHO. I prefer barrier blind, but if you're under 16", a 5.56 TMK load is formidable. If you're 16" or longer, go Fusion MSR.
    That seems backward from most suggestions I've seen: bonded for closer-range guns and SMK/TMK for longer range. Why do you reverse this?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

.223 62gr Fusion MSR vs 5.56mm 77gr Black Hills TMK

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That seems backward from most suggestions I've seen: bonded for closer-range guns and SMK/TMK for longer range. Why do you reverse this?
    Velocity is king with shorties. The TMK will be going quickly enough to fragment out to 100-125 yds if you get the full-boat 5.56 loading. Within that range, it will be quite deadly.

Fusion is a solid round; the Fusion bullets use a softer (lower antimony) lead alloy than the Gold Dots. This gives better expansion at further distances but can result in over-expansion in close shots. Gold Dots have a slightly higher expansion velocity, but are GTG from muzzle to MPB range.

My Preference is to get a 5.56 64gr loading for GDSP (if Vista/ATK even makes them any more). Then a 62gr TBBC 5.56 (XM556FBIT3 FBI load). Black Hills 50gr Water Resistant TSX.

Or, my fav, the heavier (and loaded VERY hot) mono-coppers like GMX and TSX 70gr. I haven't yet had either fail to deliver MOA in any of my guns. They bring the goods from coyotes up to big hogs, even from short barrels. They are both moving faster than most 62gr SP loadings from the same barrel length, yet show zero pressure signs (and 100% function) in any of my guns. Frankly they don't even feel as hot as 62gr NATO 5.56 Frontier.

But, I will concede that I have seen some chrono results from others that reflect Fusion MSR to be loaded hotter than standard Fusion if the same bullet weight. Basically, at the top of SAAMI spec for .223 Rem. A stout 5.56 loading will net you another 150-200 fps, all else being equal (bullet weight/density, case cap, etc).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-11-23 at 13:11.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    One is "barrier blind" but at a .223 velocity. The other is not and runs at 5.56mm NATO pressures.

I know the usual choice is "get both" but if you had to pick one for slightly-more-than-home-defense purposes, which would it be?
    Well the alternative answer to "get both" is "it depends" is probably not the definite answer you are looking for. For general purpose use bonded all the way. If you are at a place you can take advantage of the increased BC like in an extended range LPVO carbine or SPR then TMK is a good option or conversely inside your house for HD for its devastating terminal ballistics and you don't have a bunch of hardwood furniture bad guys can hide behind. TMK will also penetrate one less interior wall or two depending on construction from some tests so MAYBE a good option if you live in an apartment complex. Its really up to your situation.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    These bullets are all great performers, but very expensive.

How many rounds are you all keeping on hand of these rounds? And do you practice with them at the range?

I might be guessing wrong, but I think many have a couple hundred of these grest rounds but don’t practice with them because they are expensive. And if you’re not practicing with them, how well do you know how they shoot in your rifle?

And if you do stack em deep, I don’t have the pockets to keep up with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Well the alternative answer to "get both" is "it depends" is probably not the definite answer you are looking for. For general purpose use bonded all the way. If you are at a place you can take advantage of the increased BC like in an extended range LPVO carbine or SPR then TMK is a good option or conversely inside your house for HD for its devastating terminal ballistics and you don't have a bunch of hardwood furniture bad guys can hide behind. TMK will also penetrate one less interior wall or two depending on construction from some tests so MAYBE a good option if you live in an apartment complex. Its really up to your situation.
    I think that may be the answer. They have great terminal ballistics AND are barrier blind. As BufordTJustice mentioned above the Fusion MSR seems to be loaded to the high end of .223 from chrono results I've seen online. From visual examination of the Fusion MSR and the vaunted "FBI Load" (62gr TBBC at 5.56 pressure), since I have both, it would "appear" that the Fusion will be more aerodynamic and therefore more accurate. The "FBI Load" tip is sloppier, with what looks like lead overspill and these are not factory seconds either. I've read where it isn't made necessarily for accuracy but terminal performance.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbdesigns View Post
    These bullets are all great performers, but very expensive.

How many rounds are you all keeping on hand of these rounds? And do you practice with them at the range?

I might be guessing wrong, but I think many have a couple hundred of these grest rounds but don’t practice with them because they are expensive. And if you’re not practicing with them, how well do you know how they shoot in your rifle?

And if you do stack em deep, I don’t have the pockets to keep up with that
    I've got 400rds of the Fusion MSR and am probably going to buy more. I haven't bought any TMK yet, but do have 1K of the IMI Razor OTMs. The Black Hills 5.56 TMK are $80 for a box of 50, so yeah they're pricey.

The fly in the ointment of these type of questions: where does the Barnes 70gr 5.56 TSX ("brown tip" clone) fall into the pecking order? It is also expensive but slightly less so than the TMK. It too is barrier blind and *should* do well at longer distances.....maybe the best of both worlds?

I also have 300rds of 64gr Gold Dot and 700+ of the "FBI Load" (XM556FBIT3 to be precise).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Wonder why the 62 grn Gold Dots are unobtainium?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Wonder why the 62 grn Gold Dots are unobtainium?
    The 55 and 75 grain GD are also absent from AmmoSeek.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    The 55 and 75 grain GD are also absent from AmmoSeek.
    They have been for quite awhile. I called them and they were unable or unwilling to tell me why or when it would be.
    Last edited by prepare; 08-14-23 at 03:06.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    All our AR/M4's for HD are loaded with 62gr. Fusions.

We also use Fusions in our deer rifles. My wife's 243 Win. 95gr., my son's 270 Win. 130gr., my 280 Rem. 140gr. and 30-06 Spr. 150gr. So far so good.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast