Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What A5 buffer system to buy?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

What A5 buffer system to buy?

I am rebuilding a lower and wanted to add an A5 system. I think BCM started making one and Vltor..

Anyone know where the best place to acquire for price and in stock, I'll start my search now.

And does anyone know the standard buffer weight for the original A5 system, I see BCM has a few different weights. I just want this gun to run anything since it doesn't have an upper yet. Safest most reliable option for an A5.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-18-23 at 13:53.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Price is just a matter of shopping the deals…which generally are pretty good right now.

VLTOR of course has everything. I bought several of their Vulcan (blem) tubes.
    BCM has their system which is practically the same.
    SOLGW has a kit, and FCD uses their tube.
    If I wanted to throw away money, I’d probably check out the Cobalt Kinetics version that they did in coordination with VLTOR.
    Magpul has receiver extensions, but I haven’t seen them for a while; I may just be missing them.
    My favorite receiver extension is the LMT MWS. It fits tighter than the others, though it doesn’t have as many “holes” as some do.

You can piece together your kit. Pick a tube, pick the end plate/castle nut, get a standard rifle spring, JP polished spring, or Sprinco green spring, and then your choice of VLTOR or BCM buffer.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    The standard A5 spring and buffer kit from Vltor comes with a 5.3 oz buffer. I believe the buffer itself is their “A5H2” model if you buy it separately.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003408914?pid=148116

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100340914?pid=248917

The A5 system is basically a rifle length spring coupled to a proprietary sized A5 buffer, shoved inside an AR10/SR25 receiver extension.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    If I wanted to throw away money, I’d probably check out the Cobalt Kinetics version that they did in coordination with VLTOR.
    Don't forget the V7 versions, coming in 2055, Grade 5 titanium, or 416 stainless steel.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I use LMT receiver extensions, end plate, castle nut, Vltor A5 buffers, sprinco green sorings, and FCD buffer retainer pin

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Of the small handful I’ve handled, the BCM tube is nicest. The dry-film lube is applied most liberally. As far as weight goes, drop one H off of whatever carbine buffer is working best for you. So if thats an H2, you want an A5H1. I use Colt rifle springs. I’d imagine the one included with a BCM kit would be equivalently GTG.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks guys, great info.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went with the EMOD stock kit just to get an A5H2 buffer when there were none available and had been backordered forever.
    Once the A5H2 was back in stock I put another A5 together with a .308 extension tube I had and a green spring.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good luck finding an actual VLTOR rear end anywhere.

They’ve regularly been out of stock everywhere and won’t answer questions as to what is going on PB.

I usually get the standard spring kit from Midway USA and buy the RE separately if / when they are available.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Good luck finding an actual VLTOR rear end anywhere.

They’ve regularly been out of stock everywhere and won’t answer questions as to what is going on PB.

I usually get the standard spring kit from Midway USA and buy the RE separately if / when they are available.
    That’s how I do it. I piece it together with an A5 buffer weight of my choice, then couple with a rifle length recoil spring, and shove it in an A5 length receiver extension. LMT 308 receiver extensions, and Forward Controls Design A5 receiver extensions are my two favorites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast