Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What A5 buffer system to buy?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    From what I can recall when I built a few lowers with A5, my two big takeaways were to use the actual buffers that had the patented biasing spring and get the receiver extension with the right holes.

For the internal spring, it appears only Vltor and BCM buffers have it. A5H2 is the “standard” weight as it’s similar to a rifle buffer and roughly equivalent to a carbine H3. If I plan to shoot anything that would have trouble cycling Carbine H3, I keep an A5H0 on hand (equivalent to Carbine H1).

For the extensions, they’re all roughly the same length but the holes for stock positions can be different. If I remember right, the AR10 tubes typically have six hole positions and won’t allow short carbine stocks to lock fully collapsed. Vltor also sells a 7-position stock that addresses this. The BCM stock has, I believe, 8-positions and locks with their carbine stock fully collapsed.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    https://www.revivaldefense.com/a5-builder-kit

I’ve purchased 4 of the A5 builders kits from them. Solid company with exceptionally fast shipping.

I went with the A5H2 and Springco green spring for all of my rifles. Zero issues with that setup and the benefits “seem” to be a plus. Smoother recoil, better ejection, and a better range to adjust LOP.

To add to this; I’m using the FCD CN5F castle nut and the FCD ESF-H1 end plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I am rebuilding a lower and wanted to add an A5 system. I think BCM started making one and Vltor..

Anyone know where the best place to acquire for price and in stock, I'll start my search now.

And does anyone know the standard buffer weight for the original A5 system, I see BCM has a few different weights. I just want this gun to run anything since it doesn't have an upper yet. Safest most reliable option for an A5.

PB

Feedback Score
    There are differences from the Vltor A5 and the BCM Mk2 from what I've been told; different springs (??) if I remember correctly. In all likelihood the BCM version is an improvement but the finish on the Vltor A5 has always been superb for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Vltor A5H1 for $30.57 with code.

A Magpul UBR Gen 2 at Lanbos is $153. Not too bad compared to an A5 tube, QD end plate, and stock purchased separately, if it suits you.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    https://www.revivaldefense.com/a5-builder-kit

I’ve purchased 4 of the A5 builders kits from them. Solid company with exceptionally fast shipping.

I went with the A5H2 and Springco green spring for all of my rifles. Zero issues with that setup and the benefits “seem” to be a plus. Smoother recoil, better ejection, and a better range to adjust LOP.

To add to this; I’m using the FCD CN5F castle nut and the FCD ESF-H1 end plate.
    You beat me to it. This has been my recipe as well on the 4 builds I have done A5s on. Really like this set up.

Feedback Score
    I will add that when I did my first few builds using the A5 set up I was kind of just meh on the whole thing. When I started adding cans to the mix is when I really started to appreciate them. Especially on my two X39 builds.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Same here A5H2 + Springco Green. Works for everything I have shot.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Over a decade ago I experimented with different barrel lengths, gas systems, and buffer systems. I tested the operating envelope of different systems by gradually closing an adjustable gas block and observing what point the system began to fail to lock back or fail to cycle.

The takeaway was that the a5h2 with a standard rifle spring was at least as forgiving as a standard rifle spring with h buffer. In some systems it was definitely more forgiving, others equal. The a5h2 systems, at least for me, definitely stay on target better for follow up shots and make it more pleasant to shoot suppressed.

I have gone with the a5h2 system in all of my lowers and not look back. They make the guns very pleasant to shoot and I have found them to be utterly reliable.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just got one of the BCM A5 compatible buffer tubes. From reading here it seems the A5H2 with green Springco spring is a popular set up? I know it's hard to say unless you know the rifle set up... but is this a good place to start?

Currently has a BA Hanson 10.3 barrel and a ST-T2 that's been in my rifle the last 13 years or so. Guessing I could start with the A5H2and see how it runs?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've put thousands of rounds downrange using the Springco Green/A5H2 combo. I don't know if it's the end all be all, but it's a safe bet. My climate ranges from sub-zero to 100 degrees, no issues here. I'd possibly consider a different combo if I was in a predominantly saltwater environment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast