Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Staccato for CCW and Aluminum vs Steel Longevity

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was more internet overthinking similar to the AK stamped vs milled receiver debates.

I emailed Staccato asking about their Blem C2’s, and they responded that the blemishes are on the frame. They explained there was spots where the anodizing chipped off leaving exposed aluminum.

How big of a deal is this in the long term? I couldn’t possibly care less about aesthetics, but can there be any issues with oxidation of the exposed unfinished aluminum over time? I live in NC now; it gets pretty humid. I’ll be moving back to TX where it is very humid.
    A lot of times, most “blems ” are a superior standard of finish from the factory that most won’t even be able to identify. This goes for Most “blem sales” on popular websites. I picked up a blem C2 and I couldn’t tell you where the issue is. Worst case, there’s getting it refinished. By the way, I’ve lived in NC and now in Central TX, and I’ll take this over NC humidity any day of the week lol. YMMV though depending on what part you’re moving too, I admit that lol.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I commented in my other thread but will add, I think the P is a bit big to carry. Yes, people carried full sized 36oz 1911's for years but I never was happy carrying a 1911. If my main purpose was for carry, the C2 is ideal. If range work and occasional carry, you could get away with a P.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ap1220 View Post
    A lot of times, most “blems ” are a superior standard of finish from the factory that most won’t even be able to identify. This goes for Most “blem sales” on popular websites. I picked up a blem C2 and I couldn’t tell you where the issue is. Worst case, there’s getting it refinished. By the way, I’ve lived in NC and now in Central TX, and I’ll take this over NC humidity any day of the week lol. YMMV though depending on what part you’re moving too, I admit that lol.
    NC humidity is pretty bad, but I think Houston has it worst. At least compared to Ft Bragg and the areas around it. I missed the Blems from Staccato. It’s too bad cause that was a pretty good discount. I found out a dealer by my place is a Staccato dealer. They said they’ll match any price, so I’m going to swing by there when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I commented in my other thread but will add, I think the P is a bit big to carry. Yes, people carried full sized 36oz 1911's for years but I never was happy carrying a 1911. If my main purpose was for carry, the C2 is ideal. If range work and occasional carry, you could get away with a P.

PB
    I’m going to compare them in hand when I get back. I’m 99% sure I’ll just grab a C2, and if I don't like it I have a friend that always buys used stuff so I don’t mind taking a small hit in selling.

I think the 1911/2011 category of gun owners just has a larger amount of guys with a collector mentality, and that’s where you get the “if it’s not steel it won’t last” types of comments that later get repeated. I just wanted to confirm it wasn’t something that should really be if concern.

Question on the mags though: from what I’m seeing, Gen 3 mags are supposedly good to go now. Are they still finicky when dirty? Obviously I’m not planning to drag them through mud. From what I found (correct me if I’m wrong):

1) 2011 mags have been prone to failure from both design - I saw people mentioning mags having to be tuned and fitted in the past.
    2) They’ve been known to fail when dirty - dropped in dirt, not cleaned regularly etc.

If the above is right, I’m assuming the 3rd gen mags fixed issue #1. Now was #2 a result of design issues, or are the updated gen 3 mags still prone to the same failures when dirty? And when I say dirty I don’t mean filled up with sand or anything YouTube torture test video level of insanity. Just with routine use, how often are you guys taking the mags apart and cleaning them? If at all.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Re. Mags;
    I have what I think are Gen 2 mags (like 20+-). None have “failed”/FTF, 1 wouldn’t lock back on empty- follower was the issue, which Staccato replaced.
    The bulk of my mags are simply Range mags. Six or so are used repeatedly running drills/etc as those six are in the lock box of truck. I have never cleaned these, they have never failed to function.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Re. Mags;
    I have what I think are Gen 2 mags (like 20+-). None have “failed”/FTF, 1 wouldn’t lock back on empty- follower was the issue, which Staccato replaced.
    The bulk of my mags are simply Range mags. Six or so are used repeatedly running drills/etc as those six are in the lock box of truck. I have never cleaned these, they have never failed to function.
    Have ever tried the Triarc mags or Springfield Prodigy mags in your C2? I have the black coated Staccato C2 mags and haven't run across any issues yet.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No I haven’t. PB told me the Prodigy mags worked well in his two Staccatos.
    I would certainly trust that observation.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    No I haven’t. PB told me the Prodigy mags worked well in his two Staccatos.
    I would certainly trust that observation.
    Yes, Gaijin spoke correctly, the Prodigy mags worked just fine. I didn't run them hard, just one range trip and tossed them in my 55 gallon drum of mags. The Gen 3 mags I had ( ones that came with the gun) have worked perfectly from day one and I bought some Gen 2 mags that I think didn't lock back and Stacatto replaced multiple Springs and followers and all have been perfect since.

Just know this, if you have any issues with gun or mags, Stacatto CS will fix it. They are 100% buttoned up, buy with confidence.

I also bought some Atlas mags because I wanted to throw some money away. They have been perfect too. I noticed the springs are the most powerful of all mags. And, when my Gen 2 mags had issues, the springs they replaced were stronger springs, just an FYI. I speculate one of the issues with Gen 2 mags were weak-ish springs. And I also would speculate they have remedied that issue, but not 100%.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-04-23 at 12:45.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, Gaijin spoke correctly, the Prodigy mags worked just fine. I didn't run them hard, just one range trip and tossed them in my 55 gallon drum of mags. The Gen 3 mags I had ( ones that came with the gun) have worked perfectly from day one and I bought some Gen 2 mags that I think didn't lock back and Stacatto replaced multiple Springs and followers and all have been perfect since.

Just know this, if you have any issues with gun or mags, Stacatto CS will fix it. They are 100% buttoned up, buy with confidence.

I also bought some Atlas mags because I wanted to throw some money away. They have been perfect too. I noticed the springs are the most powerful of all mags. And, when my Gen 2 mags had issues, the springs they replaced were stronger springs, just an FYI. I speculate one of the issues with Gen 2 mags were weak-ish springs. And I also would speculate they have remedied that issue, but not 100%.

PB
    Thank you both!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

PB
    Thank you both!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Staccato, MBX, Atlas, Pridigy, and TriArc mags have all run just fine in my C2s.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast