Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Busting Charging Handles

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    My SBR is very well managed as far as gas goes. It's barely functional without the can on full house 5.56 NATO pressure ammo.

11.5" Sionics RGP barrel, SLR Ti adjustable GB, LMT EBCG, Vltor A5 with Tubbs AR10 flat wire spring and A5H2 buffer. SiCo Specwar 556.

I have found that the Geissele Airborne CH has been the best. Better than Radian Raptor or Raptor SD. Better than BCM GF (though the BCM was closest in my exp). Better than PRI. Etc.

The really square profile of the shaft of the CH seems to occupy more of the space inside of the upper, leaving less room for gas to move backwards toward your face.

Indoors, with 5.56 pressure Federal M193 55gr, and no eye pro (for testing), I get *zero* gas to face for one-two shots. Stationary in a rest. The Geissele Airborne has been the only CH to get me there, so far. BCM was closer than anybody else, but that ended up on a non-suppressed gun (fantastic CH, btw).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are you talking about the new BCM charging handles, optimized for use in their Mk2 upper receiver, or the older models?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Are you talking about the new BCM charging handles, optimized for use in their Mk2 upper receiver, or the older models?
    You know what, I think it was the prior gen. This exact one:

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-ambi...edium-latches/

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Yeah it def does not have these circles (and the milling is different):

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-ambi...ch-5-56mm-223/

I will say though, that my theory about the square-ish profile of the rod portion still applies. See the ACH here:

https://geissele.com/airborne-chargi...-56-black.html

Long time BCM fan, great to see them active again (seemed like they went quiet for a bit). I would love to take a stab at the new one, but I've no BCM mk2 receivers and likely wouldn't be using it as-designed/optimized for suppressed use.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks. I was curious because the new BCM has holes on the bottom for helping to vent gas away from your face. I was about ready to get one of the FCD's when the BCM dropped.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You know what, I think it was the prior gen. This exact one:

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-ambi...edium-latches/

All of my BCM gasbusters are that gen, also. Mostly that exact model. I’ve got one of the older BCM/Vltor marked ones, too, but I don’t remember if it was marketed for that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I will say though, that my theory about the square-ish profile of the rod portion still applies.
    The Aero Precision handles are rather square. $60 at Brownells, less with coupon, if it interests you.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    The Aero Precision handles are rather square. $60 at Brownells, less with coupon, if it interests you.
    Good to know! Thank you. Yeah I am thinking...since gas is traversing down the shaft, along the inside of the upper, it just makes sense to me to occupy that space without creating a tolerance-stack issue (and leaving some room for fouling).

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    All of my BCM gasbusters are that gen, also. Mostly that exact model. I’ve got one of the older BCM/Vltor marked ones, too, but I don’t remember if it was marketed for that.
    Honestly the generation of BCM I have, I like very much and have no issue using ion a non-suppressed weapon. Feel great, look great (I actually like the way they look more than the Geissele), work great.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Thanks. I was curious because the new BCM has holes on the bottom for helping to vent gas away from your face. I was about ready to get one of the FCD's when the BCM dropped.
    Yeah mine do not have holes on the bottom. The new design seems interesting. Hinge points are weak points, so interested to see some user data on how those hold up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have one of the BCM/Vltor charging handles and have had a very positive experience with it. Gas blow back has not been bad at all. I have an older model than the one Buford posted. I thought about getting a PRI but I paid $40 for the BCM and don't feel like paying double for a charging handle.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0331 View Post
    I have one of the BCM/Vltor charging handles and have had a very positive experience with it. Gas blow back has not been bad at all. I have an older model than the one Buford posted. I thought about getting a PRI but I paid $40 for the BCM and don't feel like paying double for a charging handle.
    I was actually fairly unimpressed with the PRI gasbuster, considering the reputation it carries. You would be better off getting a newer BCM than the PRI, in my limited experience.

I sold my PRI, if that tells you anything. And that was prior to grabbing a Geissele ACH.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Happy I didn’t pick one of those up. I will stick with my older bcm/vltor one. Like I said I am happy with its performance.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast