Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vortex vs Sig lpvo

Feedback Score
    Stick: How would you rate light gathering in low light (compared to viper? Or even razor? Or just shootability....) and focus through magnification range? Is any lens distortion really significant? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    'Preciate yall. Makin good sense.

Thoughts/experiences on VIPER PST GEN II
    2-10X32 FFP? Does it draw good light and is reticle stout enough to use low light without illumination? Like getting close to sundown under trees in the southeastern deer woods/dark background? Especially towards 2x?
    Yes. I have one I might be willing to part with, 2-10pst2 ffp in mil though, not moa. I have shot at dusk with it and it was fine, for me. On moonlit nights you can see sans illumination too, sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    The Sig MSR line of optics are trash. The 1-8 and 1-10 have such a tight eye box over 6x that its worse than TA31 eye relief.

Look at the Credo line of optics. The Credo 1-6 SFP with Segmented 223/556 reticle is AWESOME glass. As is the Credo 2-10x36 MRAD. I've got the 2-10x36 but as of right now have nothing to put it on so I've been considering selling it.

Also look at the Primary Arms Glx 1-6x24 FFP M6 Raptor. That's what I'm currently playing with on my GPR and am very happy with it.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Stick: How would you rate light gathering in low light (compared to viper? Or even razor? Or just shootability....) and focus through magnification range? Is any lens distortion really significant? Thanks
    Sorry, I missed answering this one.

I hate playing one scope against another without using them both at the same time and conditions. My eyes are not as clear as they used to be, but the overall shootability is high with it and I do enjoy the 1-8 range. I prefer a 1-8 over a 1-10 based on eyebox room. The larger the magnification, the more that some things need to be given up. Its the same way in photography lenses. Light gathering, contrast, ghosting, halo, atmo condition impact, vibrance, color and saturations, as well as plenty of other things come into play. Based on the above (and then some), I can say that the 1-8 FFP does a nice job for MY shooting, MY eyes, and MY conditions. I'm typically shooting steel out to 4 or 500 in tall grass, or mixed into a tree line. Conditions are rain, snow, heat, wind and humidity that are varied. Lighting is all over the map, and from early morning, to clouds, to shooting in the dark. Optics that are LPVO are also used in a Hogans alley area that has light and shade through.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    No sweat, Stick. Have a 4.5x14 with knobs on my Wilson barrelled Ar. Its sub moa to 6 on the rare occasions I shoot at that distance, depending on coffee and wind. I want to rescope it and put that scope on a .22lr to maybe shoot local 50-300y matches. My 1-6 viper on another ar shoots the same 2min from 100 to 600, has a great eye box, reticle and light gathering.... for my Fudd ass. May just get another one. Was wanting 8 or 10x for 100 paper or to see paint dings a little better downrange. Sometimes I like a tight eyebox cause I feel it reduces parallax somewhat if no PA knob, but I do tend to shoot light hold slow fire offhand and then lose picture by subconsciously relaxing tighter hold during rapid fire, so.... Just hate refocusing at higher magnification cause of my own old eyes.... Guess it's all a compromise.....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 09-10-23 at 12:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Interesting thread as I shot my PST 1x4 Viper vs my Sig 1x6 MSR...a few things I noticed since my eyes are meh without glasses...

I have to go to a 1x6 power scope...even zeroing them at 50yards with the power set at the highest...4x power doesn't do it.

The Vortex has clearer glass and positive click adjustments, the Sig has decent reticle marks but aren't that clear. A combo of both scopes would be a good start. I can shoot up to 300 yards at my range, I just need to get there.

I would love a Nightforce 1x8 but out of my capabilities and price range. A SFP 1x6 seems to be ideal, appreciate the comments.

Feedback Score
    I bought the sig 1-10. I looked through NF, Trij, Vtx etc at a gun store. Glass of these def better than the sig, but oh the money. Guess I'm a sfp guy. I don't like the shrinking reticles of ffp which would seem to lead to necessity of illumination at lower powers, esp lo light. Don't need full magnification range ranging to fulfill my fudd fantasies on the square range.

That said:

Glass is decent. Maintains focus for me throughout magnification range. If you don't like a tight eyebox, don't crank it all the way up. Big and heavy like my Vtx Viper 1-6. But that 34mm tube seems to simply lead to thicker ring around sight picture. Like looking through a truck tire as opposed a bike tire for my Vtx. I like reticle just fine for daylight blasting. At 10x, the dot is working at 100 for +- moa, and I can (generally) see holes in the paper. Will have to see later how the holdovers work at longer range. Though reticle is thick, it is lost in low light due to being non-continuous. 1 clik illum remedies this well. Thin duplex of Vtx holds up longer without illum to me in lower light. Clicks on the sig seem finer than necessary for .5moa. Started bad, bad mushy. After running e and w knobs through entire range (literally stop to stop) several times, mushiness left. What surprised me was that it returned exactly to established poi. Customer service good cause after I broke a base bolt (1st time in over 50yrs of mounting scopes) they sent me a new base for free. Yes, I actually measured torque when attaching the replacement base.... Another thing to look out for is length of pull of subject gun. I put it on a rifle with an A2 stock. Rear of scope overhangs charging handle making manipulation a deliberate activity. (Note I don't shoot this gun from a crouch.)

Forgot to mention that somewhere I read there were off positions between illum settings. On mine, the reticle goes out between settings, but I don't feel a detent. More like friction. Not worried because there is a detent for the off setting between highest and lowest setting, lowest being perfect for low light and the only setting I'll ever use.

Oh, yeah, I wonder if they make scope caps that would fit my Vtx. I really like the sig caps....

Anyway,

You asked.... I think......
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 11-19-23 at 11:40.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123