Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPVO or T2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

LPVO or T2

Hi all,

After nearly completing my 300BLK SBR LMT , I first thought I’d put maybe an EOTech on there. I’ve since decided to take my T2 from my 16” KAC SR15 and move that to the LMT. I placed an order for a nightforce ATACR 1-8 directly through their LEO sales after checking one out a while back. I liked the ability to have a red dot style at 1x and then the ability to push it out to 8x if need be. I have never shot farther than 100 yards on this rifle although I’d like to. Having never shot with an LPVO am I making a mistake? Should I stick to red dots and red dots only?

I won’t be in possession of the ATACR for about 2-3 months.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Your post isn't completely clear to me. To recap:

You have an LMT 300BK SBR that is going to be paired with a T2. I presume this is for SD.
    You have a KAC SR15, with unknown barrel length, stock, or intended purpose. (but the unimportant KAC sure was included)
    You've ordered a really nice LPVO.

You're asking if this LPVO should be mounted onto the SR15? Without knowing how this carbine (or rifle?) will be used, how are we supposed to suggest what optic it should receive? Shooting past 100 yards does not require a magnified optic, but it certainly makes it easier to hit small targets.

Some people consider LPVOs to be a fabulous solution for their needs, while others expect them to be completely equal to an RDS at 5 yards, while in a compromised shooting position. You don't know which camp you fall in.....and we sure don't either.

Buy it, try it out, and you'll learn quickly if it's a good solution for YOU.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My apologies. So the KAC is a 16” barrel. I’ve been using only iron sights and red dots for the last 14 years and I’ve never used an LPVO. I would say I’d primarily be shooting 25 to 100 yrds with the occasional 300 yard ranges here and there. I first decided on the LPVO for my KAC for the purpose of having this be my do anything and everything rifle meaning being able to shoot targets up close and far away without any issue.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    My apologies. So the KAC is a 16” barrel. I’ve been using only iron sights and red dots for the last 14 years and I’ve never used an LPVO. I would say I’d primarily be shooting 25 to 100 yrds with the occasional 300 yard ranges here and there. I first decided on the LPVO for my KAC for the purpose of having this be my do anything and everything rifle meaning being able to shoot targets up close and far away without any issue.
    What’s causing you second thoughts? Just that you’ve never used one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I used to have red dots on several rifles. Still have an Aimpoint on one. My others have been switched to LPVO’s. I find them superior for a do-everything, general use rifle. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What’s causing you second thoughts? Just that you’ve never used one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Basically , yes. I went to a local photography place that also sells optics just to test out the ATACR and I did like it and was impressed with the glass. I’ve just never used an LPVO or scope on an AR platform so this is new territory for me. I am excited though. Especially since one of the ranges nearby has recently re opened and has a really nice outdoor setup. Since this KAC is my general purpose rifle I’m sure it’ll be a great fit I’m just anxious to try out an LPVO. The ATACR seems to be a pretty popular choice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    ATACR has a relatively small field of view compared to other options. 96.1 feet at 100 yards, versus 127.5' at 100y for the Kahles K18i.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’ve read multiple comments claiming the ATACR is geared more towards the top end, while the NX8 is better at the low end. I chose the NX8, and have no regrets.

I picked up a Steiner 1-4 on discount, and I like it quite a bit, but the top end magnification is a lacking. Thejr T5xi might even be better, but six times is as low as I’ll go from now on.

If you don’t like it, it shouldn’t be too hard to sell it here to try something else.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    Hi all,

After nearly completing my 300BLK SBR LMT , I first thought I’d put maybe an EOTech on there. I’ve since decided to take my T2 from my 16” KAC SR15 and move that to the LMT. I placed an order for a nightforce ATACR 1-8 directly through their LEO sales after checking one out a while back. I liked the ability to have a red dot style at 1x and then the ability to push it out to 8x if need be. I have never shot farther than 100 yards on this rifle although I’d like to. Having never shot with an LPVO am I making a mistake? Should I stick to red dots and red dots only?

I won’t be in possession of the ATACR for about 2-3 months.

I was once like you, and while I still love my Aimpoints and RDOs, my eyes have taught me that a LPVO is more beneficial for my own needs and uses. When you start to add in that 100 yards is a long shot if you have limited view, add in a small target (think bad guy behind cover or concealment), or anything else outside the norm, and the LPVO starts to get the nod.

What I still don't think I would use a LPVO on is being a city cop. There is too much going in buildings, searching, and that is not the area where the LPVO shines.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got the ATACR 1-8 about a month ago and just last night had the time to level and mount it using the NF ultramount as per manufacturers specs (25 lb on the cap screws and 70 lb on the cross bolts). Took it out in the yard to look through it magnified and at 1x. It surely is very, very clear and sharp. I am impressed since this blows away any scope I have ever used in the past. Crystal clear. So far just playing around with it, plan to shoot with it in a few weeks when I'm off. Unfortunately the ranges by me only go out to 300 yards so I'd have to head upstate to really push it out. For now the T2 was moved to my 10.5 300BLK build since that's my designated CQB/HD rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast