Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The rise and fall of the SCAR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum 20 View Post
    Who ever complained about the charging handle on an AK? Run it on the right side if you are worried about getting your thumb/stoppages.
    The NSW tester I referenced earlier states:

The side charging handle is a design feature that just plain pisses me off. There is no need for it, yet there it remains. As for being a "self correcting" problem, well.......it is, for those who hit their hand on it once. But there is shit in the real world that doesn't exist on the range. Shooting from underneath a car flat out sucks with the SCAR. If the handle doesn't hit the ground, the car, or your gear, you probably aren't hitting your intended target either. I semi-solved the issue by cutting it in half, and stippling it up with a soldering iron. Still, there exists a SCAR with a captured charging handle.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Who ever complained about the charging handle on an AK? Run it on the right side if you are worried about getting your thumb/stoppages.
    Rangers and SEALs complained about the SCAR L charging handle. It was a consistent complaint from the testers. Some just found it offputting, some complained of functional problems as seen above.

Interestingly, I’ve not heard this complaint about the AK for whatever reason.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I think the biggest issue with the SCAR charging handle is the location more than anything. It's not a big deal on the newer ones with the non reciprocating charging handles, but it's not good on the older ones that do reciprocate. Location is everything, which is why it's not really an issue on most all older design rifles that have reciprocating charging handles. As far as modern designs, the ARX has good placement on it's charging handle and the fact that it reciprocates is not really an issue.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 09-12-23 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    “Oh, but it’s the softest recoiling 7.62 rifle ever produced.”

- Says those who have never pulled the trigger on one or have zero other points of reference.

I like my SCAR17 alright and will keep it, however: 1. It ain’t that accurate 2. It just about tore my left thumb off 3. Is very from heavy 4. IT RECOILS LIKE A BITCH. - Contrary to what you hear from all the Commie-Tube “experts.”

Oh, and I’m not recoil sensitive, but I’d much prefer to shoot my 458 SOCOM AR.
    It’s the softest recoiling 7.62 rifle ever produced.

Point of reference: I own one, and have owned it for 12 years now. I also own an M1A, AR-10, DSA FAL, and PTR-91. The SCAR will outshoot any of them (possible exception of the M1A), weighs less, and has a far softer recoil than any besides the M1A as well.

People are allowed to like what they want, but posts like yours really make me wonder if there was a fundamental redesign after I bought mine because some people report radically different experiences from factors that shouldn't be subjective.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Well my point was, go stick the right side of your AK,AR,SCAR whatever next to an obsticle where it cant sh!t and see what happens. People put the charging handle on the left side because it feels nice, to include me. Yes I would like it to be like a FAL, but SOCOM (sp) made it the way it was. Since I purchased my first SCAR in 2010 I have shot them under cars, hrough barricades, inside of drainage pipes and with straps hanging all over me, ect. The charging handle on the left side is overblown. Kinda like destroys optics, hard recoil, not accurate, ect. I am not in total love with the SCAR and have noted I prolly wouldnt want to pack it over an M4 in combat. That is totally a wieght issue, but weight is what you deal with everyday in that environment. I will hold to the 17 is the best battle rifle on the market period. Hunt anything in North America, light weight, kills zombies fast and can work in the DMR role. With my 17 in close and fast stages I can keep up with .223 ARs and I don't even have a muzzel brake on it. Mag capacity gets me, but with decent stage planning can be worked with. Funny thing if you watched the video the Ranger says Pmags don't work in the 16. I shoot mostly 40 round pmags,Tula and mine runs great! Even when the feed lips on the 40 rounders crack, which happens, it works until a really hot day.Then I have had double feeds. Plus I only clean it maybe once a year. That being said my wife has been shooting her BCM since 2015 and this year was only its second cleaning. We shoot mostly Tula. Her rifle and my rifle have both been through three Legion matches at this point and several hard as hell matches. No malfunctions that were not nut behind the wheel issues, like ejection port against something.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mine has the stock ?PWS? Muzzle device and was purchased new in 2014.

If they’re so soft recoiling why do they destroy optics?

Feedback Score
    Well if you reseach it what destroys optics, is not recoil. BB guns destroy optics. All this is internet research and I am no expert. But optics apparently don't take a forward impulse. I can see how the heavy bolt carrier/bolt combo slaming forward could create a forward impulse in a SCAR. I bet both carriers wieght about the same in the 16 and 17. Why doesnt the 16 "destroy optics"?

My wife keeps her PWS brake on hers and likes it. It does make a difference.

The reason SOCOM and cool kids still think the 17 is worth it? Cause it is.

!6 ain't bad. just too heavy.

Feedback Score
    Is the SCAR the weapon with the optic killer reputation?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Well my point was, go stick the right side of your AK,AR,SCAR whatever next to an obsticle where it cant sh!t and see what happens. People put the charging handle on the left side because it feels nice, to include me. Yes I would like it to be like a FAL, but SOCOM (sp) made it the way it was. Since I purchased my first SCAR in 2010 I have shot them under cars, hrough barricades, inside of drainage pipes and with straps hanging all over me, ect. The charging handle on the left side is overblown. Kinda like destroys optics, hard recoil, not accurate, ect. I am not in total love with the SCAR and have noted I prolly wouldnt want to pack it over an M4 in combat. That is totally a wieght issue, but weight is what you deal with everyday in that environment. I will hold to the 17 is the best battle rifle on the market period. Hunt anything in North America, light weight, kills zombies fast and can work in the DMR role. With my 17 in close and fast stages I can keep up with .223 ARs and I don't even have a muzzel brake on it. Mag capacity gets me, but with decent stage planning can be worked with. Funny thing if you watched the video the Ranger says Pmags don't work in the 16. I shoot mostly 40 round pmags,Tula and mine runs great! Even when the feed lips on the 40 rounders crack, which happens, it works until a really hot day.Then I have had double feeds. Plus I only clean it maybe once a year. That being said my wife has been shooting her BCM since 2015 and this year was only its second cleaning. We shoot mostly Tula. Her rifle and my rifle have both been through three Legion matches at this point and several hard as hell matches. No malfunctions that were not nut behind the wheel issues, like ejection port against something.
    Well, with the right side charging handle model, anything that grabs the charging handle would likely cause a stovepipe type stoppage through ejection port interference. Probably why I’ve never heard anything negative about the AK (and have carried it for work/worked with dudes that did).

That doesn’t change that Rangers and SEALs rejected them.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Is the SCAR the weapon with the optic killer reputation?
    It is.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast