Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffer face wear - not pin related?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Buffer face wear - not pin related?

I was swapping uppers around the other day and noticed some unusual wear on the face of the buffer. Geissele REBCG on a VLTOR A5 buffer. Traditionally most of the wear on the buffer face seems to be at the hands of the buffer retaining pin but this is far too concentric and high to be the pin. I’m wondering if the the whiz bang BCG has a burr on the back of it? Thoughts?
    IMG_8862.jpeg
    Last edited by dont_tread_on_me; 09-11-23 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Bouncing off the back of the carrier or like you say.. a burr or sharper edge somewhere. Not uncommon at all. The buffer does rotate in the R.E. so you'll see the scoring just like your pic illustrates.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can think of nothing besides the whiz bang bolt carrier that could cause this. This shouldn't be occurring, but it should only be cosmetic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a gun that did that and tracked it down to a little tit on the back of the bolt carrier.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Would bother me, as the steel carrier will keep damaging the aluminum buffer face. Find a flat surface; glass, countertop, whatever is handy. Using finer and finer emery cloth, rotate the carrier standing upright until the tail is nice and smooth. Clean, oil and no more buffer wear. BTDT.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Would bother me, as the steel carrier will keep damaging the aluminum buffer face. Find a flat surface; glass, countertop, whatever is handy. Using finer and finer emery cloth, rotate the carrier standing upright until the tail is nice and smooth. Clean, oil and no more buffer wear. BTDT.
    Not sure if that would be as easy as we think with the coating on the BCG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My Vltor A5 buffer looked like that or worse after little use. I assumed the coating was rather soft as I don't think the previous buffer had that much wear.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My other V5s haven’t looked like either but that’s using a BCM BCG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Then the tail of my carrier needs some polishing. Thanks for posting this Q as it's not something I would have addressed otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Geissele strikes again! Pun intended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast