Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MCX Spear

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Pretty much all of this. Re the DMR angle: a what, 9lb gun, 2lb “smart” optic and a cartridge designed to improve range at the expense of capacity and recoil? Sounds like a DMR gun to me.

The logistics are sure to be a nightmare, with sister services not adopting, also. Funny you mention the Germans. Most sturmgewehrs were captured in crates, I believe, because logistics.
    That's exactly the role I want it for.......I wasn't in the Army, but wasn't the SAW's main use as a suppressive fire weapon? IE: Lots of rounds down range quickly to keep their heads down while you maneuvered or got to cover?

I've fired a SAW and it doesn't strike me as the accurate, long range weapon this one is.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    And I'm seeing the pictured magazine here and there also. Maybe Sig is making their own mags for the issued guns.
    They are making their own stamped steel mags for the XM7.

https://soldiersystems.net/2022/07/2...on-capability/

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    That's exactly the role I want it for.......I wasn't in the Army, but wasn't the SAW's main use as a suppressive fire weapon? IE: Lots of rounds down range quickly to keep their heads down while you maneuvered or got to cover?

I've fired a SAW and it doesn't strike me as the accurate, long range weapon this one is.....
    NGSW is a program; the SAW replacement is a totally separate platform from the SPEAR, the XM250 is a gas-operated belt fed.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-25-23 at 08:33.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post

NGSW is a program; the SAW replacement is a totally separate platform from the SPEAR, the XM250 is a gas-operated belt fed.
    Ok, that makes more sense, didn't realize there was another weapon being adopted. Looks like I need to read more about this topic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    They are making their own stamped steel mags for the XM7.
    Oh cool, didn't know that. Maybe I should pump the brakes on the Lancers!

Feedback Score
    Soooo, if someone didn't want to pay (if even available) the God-awful price that .277 Fury ammo will command if/when adoption by the Army is complete, what other caliber offered in their "large frame" chassis would be comparable?

6.5?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Soooo, if someone didn't want to pay (if even available) the God-awful price that .277 Fury ammo will command if/when adoption by the Army is complete, what other caliber offered in their "large frame" chassis would be comparable?

6.5?
    That is number 2 on my list.......But there are already .277 dies available, so reloading will be the better option.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    That is number 2 on my list.......But there are already .277 dies available, so reloading will be the better option.
    I haven’t looked at the drawings in a while, but I think I remember it being pretty much a necked .308, so you’d be able to make cases and load them up pretty easily, just not to that godawful pressure. I’d imagine you could get performance splitting the difference of .260 and 7-08, using the same weight projectile for any of them.

Edit: here’s a thread I posted a while back with the SAAMI dimensions: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ury&highlight= looks like you’ll have to fireform, too.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-25-23 at 20:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I haven’t looked at the drawings in a while, but I think I remember it being pretty much a necked .308, so you’d be able to make cases and load them up pretty easily, just not to that godawful pressure. I’d imagine you could get performance splitting the difference of .260 and 7-08, using the same weight projectile for any of them.
    So I was thinking "What would be a round doable in the Spear LT that is remotely comparable to the .277 Fury ballistics-wise?" There ain't one! 6.8SPC is many grains shy on weight and the velocity of the heaviest rounds is ~ 2500fps. The .227 Fury exceeds that a good deal, mostly regarding velocity. The Fury is a little spunkier I'm sure, especially with the "hot loads" for combat. It is essentially a necked-down .270.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234