Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MCX Spear

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    LOL, I don't get the point of these posts. The SPEAR and SPEAR LT are very different platforms. The SPEAR LT is not just some downsized version of the SPEAR. You might as well bring up the pricing of the Cross or MPX, too.
    Okay, edjumicate me.....the 5.56mm version that I saw in the gunshop for $2700+ was likely which version? I knew it was a "Spear-ish" gun but didn't look to see what specific model it was (LT or not).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Okay, edjumicate me.....the 5.56mm version that I saw in the gunshop for $2700+ was likely which version? I knew it was a "Spear-ish" gun but didn't look to see what specific model it was (LT or not).
    Anything small frame is the SPEAR LT, which is the MCX gen3 (5.56×45mm, .300 BLK, 7.62×39mm). Anything large frame is the SPEAR (7.62×51mm, .277 Fury, 6.5 CM), so bulkier, has a left side non-reciprocating charging handle (not sure if it can act as a forward assist, but the SPEAR has an AR style one on the right side anyway), and the internals are fairly different, such as the BCG riding on a single central guide rod (like a most short stroke piston platforms) versus the SPEAR LT's dual guide rod (like the AR-18).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Interesting sidenote: my buddy is a retired SGM from 5th SFG. Each year they have a 5th Group reunion at Ft. Campbell, complete with a range day where the guys can shoot just about all the modern small arms SF uses. Last year they had the SIG .277 (military version) but the indoor range they were using hadn't been upgraded to absorb that round yet, and one of the active duty guys told him they didn't have any ammo to spare for it anyway. This year the range was this past Thursday and they didn't even bring the SIG out! He said they had all kinds of other shit but not the wunder-SIG.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

MCX Spear

Interesting sidenote: my buddy is a retired SGM from 5th SFG. Each year they have a 5th Group reunion at Ft. Campbell, complete with a range day where the guys can shoot just about all the modern small arms SF uses. Last year they had the SIG .277 (military version) but the indoor range they were using hadn't been upgraded to absorb that round yet, and one of the active duty guys told him they didn't have any ammo to spare for it anyway. This year the range was this past Thursday and they didn't even bring the SIG out! He said they had all kinds of other shit but not the wunder-SIG.
    Called that years ago, I think on this forum. 855A1 was chewing up our indoor range and steel so much that I ran a zero and BRM range with MK262. Think about that shit and then figure the logistics to getting everything upgraded to use the new Sig stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Called that years ago, I think on this forum. 855A1 was chewing up our indoor range and steel so much that I ran a zero and BRM range with MK262. Think about that shit and then figure the logistics to getting everything upgraded to use the new Sig stuff.
    I think it also plays into the skepticism some have about that weapon ever really taking hold and taking off. As I mentioned, last year an active duty SF guy commented to my buddy on the ammo (or lack thereof) situation. Then this year it isn't dragged out at all.

Curiosity question: IIRC you're a logistics guy, right? Do you see this .277 platform ever being "general issue"? It was wanted for SF, Rangers, Infantry, and Cav Scouts. Do you see it even getting that far?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think it also plays into the skepticism some have about that weapon ever really taking hold and taking off. As I mentioned, last year an active duty SF guy commented to my buddy on the ammo (or lack thereof) situation. Then this year it isn't dragged out at all.

Curiosity question: IIRC you're a logistics guy, right? Do you see this .277 platform ever being "general issue"? It was wanted for SF, Rangers, Infantry, and Cav Scouts. Do you see it even getting that far?
    I don’t see any way it can’t. Army went all in, it’s going to happen. The limited distro is one of my big concerns of why it’ll be painful though. There’s a lot of second and third order of effects, combat arms units having a different system, to include ammo, is only going to make everything more complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will be completely surprised if the XM7 is fielded in even modest quantities. The Marines made a more seemingly smart decision with the M27 because it presents less of a logistical and training burden than the XM7. I can easily see the XM7 being a UCP level of decision that just doesn't work.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Since we're talking about the new rifle not being available, it is now going into field tests/troop trials.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-testing-soon/

This unit has the M4 and SAW replacement and begins testing soon

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md. — The Army sent its newest rifle, automatic rifle and optics to the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky this week.

Officials declined to identify the specific platoon in the division that would run the limited user test of the weapons systems in the coming months, citing security concerns. New equipment training for the unit begins Sept. 25, officials said.

A squad from the 75th Ranger Regiment will also assist in the testing, officials said.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Currently, the 10-year contract for the Sig Sauer weapons systems has a ceiling value of $4.5 billion and the Vortex Optics/Sheltered Wings optic cost ceiling is set at $2.7 billion.
    I don't know how many SAW's are in use, but that is a heck of a lot of SAW replacements, even at the price point of this rifle. For this kind of comittment, someone ought to be sure of its adoption.

Feedback Score
    Assuming it does go into general use with US services, I wonder if this is something that NATO would consider adopting (similar to the 7.62x51mm round)?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast