Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MCX Spear

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The only people that are doubting its adoption are internet gun people. Its going to happen, its just going to be painful (already is).
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    So nobody here has one yet?
    I have one in 7.62X51. Like others have said, the other calibers aren't out in the wild yet. As a battle rifle fan, I'm good with getting 7.62 variety. I've only put 100 quick rounds through it so far with a Trijicon TR24 optic. I plan to put an NF NX8 on it. I used the PMAG it came with, but am acquiring Lancer L7s as those seem to be the mags being issued with it. I guess I could also use my metal KAC SR25 mags in it, but haven't tried. Not much to say except, subjectively, I'm really liking it. Soft shooting, feels really solid, great trigger, controlled pairs on steel are a breeze. I also have a SCAR 17S, which is probably it's most natural comparison. I like the metal lower of the SPEAR, but it is, and feels, heavier than the SCAR. The SR25 (ACC) is bit more punchier than both. I don't have preference at this point. All are great. Heck, I'm still a FAL fan and it's not a long walk from the truck to the firing line..!

I guess that I should point out that I've got both this one and an LT in 5.56, and wouldn't count on either rails to hold zero. The receiver top rail extends forward far enough on both where if I needed to mount a IR laser or something, there's plenty enough room to do so. This is one thing the SCAR got right despite lots of criticism for the rail being too short. With the SCAR, the rail is monolithic with the receiver, and if you want longer, it's easy to add a zero holding rail extension (PMM, KDG, Rego Sys, Etc...), and you don't have to buy a shorter rail if you SBR. Both SPEARs will require you to replace the rail if you drop in the shorter barrel, and none of those SPEAR rails will hold zero if handled roughly...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JPB; 09-24-23 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for popping in and adding your experience. I have enough 762 rifles already and I'd rather have the cartridge its using as issued and its claimed benefits.

Plus, that odd ball cartridge, one might even call it proprietary, intrigues me. When it goes into service, the popularity will increase, probably more so than the 6.5 and 6.8's already in the market that have their niche following.

I am hopeful my guy can come up with one within the next 6-12 months. You'd think SIG would be pumping the 277's out faster than the 762's, but maybe they know something we don't at this point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, I almost wonder if it's going to be like a 5.7 deal where the high zoot stuff is kept off the commercial market and we only get the watered down stuff. I've already seen media about Sig releasing their new body armor defeating rifle to the public!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    Yeah, I almost wonder if it's going to be like a 5.7 deal where the high zoot stuff is kept off the commercial market and we only get the watered down stuff. I've already seen media about Sig releasing their new body armor defeating rifle to the public!
    My God, how will we all survive? Get in before the ban.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The only people that are doubting its adoption are internet gun people. Its going to happen, its just going to be painful (already is).
    Okay, another opinion question: was the push for this warranted? Was the juice worth the squeeze?

Sure, the M4 will not live in perpetuity but this new caliber is harkening back to the early days of Vietnam where the M14 was urged to be replaced by the M16, only in reverse. IIRC the weapon itself is about 3lbs heavier than a similarly equipped M4. The ammo, two types of it, is a task that will keep ammo manufacturers quite busy. Since you mentioned a prediction you had made on here earlier, I also predicted that the reduced-pressure "training" round would eventually be loaded with the proper bullet and become the standard issue ammo. The 80K psi ones, while they might be awesome on target, will need to be tamed back pressure-wise.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Okay, another opinion question: was the push for this warranted? Was the juice worth the squeeze?

Sure, the M4 will not live in perpetuity but this new caliber is harkening back to the early days of Vietnam where the M14 was urged to be replaced by the M16, only in reverse. IIRC the weapon itself is about 3lbs heavier than a similarly equipped M4. The ammo, two types of it, is a task that will keep ammo manufacturers quite busy. Since you mentioned a prediction you had made on here earlier, I also predicted that the reduced-pressure "training" round would eventually be loaded with the proper bullet and become the standard issue ammo. The 80K psi ones, while they might be awesome on target, will need to be tamed back pressure-wise.
    Personally, not at all. I have a growing thought process that we're becoming more and more like the German Army during WWII - technologically advanced but producing equipment with such high cost and such heavy maintenance requirements that we won't be able to produce and maintain enough of anything to be successful in WWIII. This system falls into that category. I've heard two main justifications for this whole project - lethality at distance and armor defeating. I'm not read-on to the current assessments of individual Chinese armor distribution but I highly doubt its more than us. The 855A1 and M80A1 both perform pretty well by all accounts I've seen so armor really doesn't seem like its a realistic large concern IMO. Plus, a lot of the Army can't shoot well with an M4 and anyone with a brain understands that upping the caliber and dropping the amount of rounds required will not suddenly make misses count. The optic seems cool, but that goes back to my point about us being so technologically advanced. The range argument is a harder one, especially because there's probably historical precedent (GWOT DMRs and all that) behind it that I have zero experience with. I do wonder how heavily that was weighed though. I'd absolutely want my PLTs to be able to meet, if not beat, China's standard engagement envelope. I do wonder how much we're looking for a shiny new Sig toy that can check that block instead of focusing on better training and maybe mixing in easier upgrades like the MK12 brought to the table.

I can't help but be skeptical any time Sig wins something. Its happened so much that I'm just waiting to find out that top guy at PM Soldier Lethality is Cohen's brother in law or something.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I can't help but be skeptical any time Sig wins something. Its happened so much that I'm just waiting to find out that top guy at PM Soldier Lethality is Cohen's brother in law or something.
    This. How the hell is Sig winning optics contracts?

I think that we do need a modern battle rifle, but having them so "friendly fiddler" friendly is a little scary.
    Last edited by JPB; 09-24-23 at 20:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Since we're talking about the new rifle not being available, it is now going into field tests/troop trials.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-testing-soon/
    Interestingly, the rifle in the article has no forward assist. And I'm seeing the pictured magazine here and there also. Maybe Sig is making their own mags for the issued guns.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Pretty much all of this. Re the DMR angle: a what, 9lb gun, 2lb “smart” optic and a cartridge designed to improve range at the expense of capacity and recoil? Sounds like a DMR gun to me.

The logistics are sure to be a nightmare, with sister services not adopting, also. Funny you mention the Germans. Most sturmgewehrs were captured in crates, I believe, because logistics.

Personally, not at all. I have a growing thought process that we're becoming more and more like the German Army during WWII - technologically advanced but producing equipment with such high cost and such heavy maintenance requirements that we won't be able to produce and maintain enough of anything to be successful in WWIII. This system falls into that category. I've heard two main justifications for this whole project - lethality at distance and armor defeating. I'm not read-on to the current assessments of individual Chinese armor distribution but I highly doubt its more than us. The 855A1 and M80A1 both perform pretty well by all accounts I've seen so armor really doesn't seem like its a realistic large concern IMO. Plus, a lot of the Army can't shoot well with an M4 and anyone with a brain understands that upping the caliber and dropping the amount of rounds required will not suddenly make misses count. The optic seems cool, but that goes back to my point about us being so technologically advanced. The range argument is a harder one, especially because there's probably historical precedent (GWOT DMRs and all that) behind it that I have zero experience with. I do wonder how heavily that was weighed though. I'd absolutely want my PLTs to be able to meet, if not beat, China's standard engagement envelope. I do wonder how much we're looking for a shiny new Sig toy that can check that block instead of focusing on better training and maybe mixing in easier upgrades like the MK12 brought to the table.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast