Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend an EDC tactical light?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Recommend an EDC tactical light?

I did another no/low light class and have decided it would be a good idea to carry a decent light to compliment the pistol mounted light.
    Is Surefire still the way to go? I'd like something with a momentary on ability. Prefer no strobe. Really awesome if under $150.
    Thanks for any info.

Feedback Score
    What's an EDC tactical light? Because EDC and tactical tend to be pretty opposing forces, at least typically in the flashlight community, with EDC typically going toward smaller and more floody, often with multiple settings, and tactical being necessarily larger for the better performance with recent trends towards throw and just a single output.

What size are you willing to tolerate? What beam profile do you want? How much power do you want? Do you care at all about temperature and CRI? Do you have specific methodologies you want to use (e.g., rubber rings to help with the Rogers shooting method, usage of the Thyrm SwitchBack, etc.)? Single, dual, or multi output?
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-19-23 at 17:07.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Surefire is great but not under $150 for most models.

I use a stream light protac hlx. Mine is several years old and is 1k lumens, these are going to be cheap since a 2k lumen was released not long ago.
    It has momentary on and strobe but it can be disabled (since you font want that feature).

I took mine to a friends shop and had him use a lathe to cut a ring into the body for the old raven belt clip for the surefire 6P models. That is how I like to carry mine with that loop sticking out for easy access to put into action.

The 1k lumen models are on eBay often for under $100. The 2k models I've seen on sale for $150 a couple times.

I have these in all personal and company vehicles that we own plus one in my pocket.
    I have not tried the 2k lumen models yet.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    What's an EDC tactical light? Because EDC and tactical tend to be pretty opposing forces, at least typically in the flashlight community, with EDC typically going toward smaller and more floody, and tactical being necessarily larger for the better performance with recent trends towards throw.

What size are you willing to tolerate? What beam profile do you want? How much power do you want? Do you care at all about temperature and CRI?
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my post. I'm asking because I'm not sure what's out there that would fit that role. I don't know anything about CRI or temperature. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how it impacts a self defense scenario. I'm looking for something that I can use to illuminate or search w/out using the pistol mounted light. Something small enough to carry every day, so size-wise I would like something around the size of a single CR123 light.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    Surefire is great but not under $150 for most models.

I use a stream light protac hlx. Mine is several years old and is 1k lumens, these are going to be cheap since a 2k lumen was released not long ago.
    It has momentary on and strobe but it can be disabled (since you font want that feature).

I took mine to a friends shop and had him use a lathe to cut a ring into the body for the old raven belt clip for the surefire 6P models. That is how I like to carry mine with that loop sticking out for easy access to put into action.

The 1k lumen models are on eBay often for under $100. The 2k models I've seen on sale for $150 a couple times.

I have these in all personal and company vehicles that we own plus one in my pocket.
    I have not tried the 2k lumen models yet.
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my post. I'm asking because I'm not sure what's out there that would fit that role. I don't know anything about CRI or temperature. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how it impacts a self defense scenario. I'm looking for something that I can use to illuminate or search w/out using the pistol mounted light. Something small enough to carry every day, so size-wise I would like something around the size of a single CR123 light.
    Disclaimer, I'm just an enthusiast that has taken a number of low-light classes, done a decent bit of low-light force-on-force and am a gear queer, I have not used lights in a realworld duty capacity involving firearms (only as fire and SAR).

The cooler the color, the more it tends to create glare when trying to shine through atmospherics (e.g., fog, smoke, rain, etc.), hence why some folks used to run both an LED and an incandescent WML on a single gun, since cooler lights tend to have better output, but smoke from the gunpowder and like can create more glare.

CRI is much more niche, but some will argue that better color reproduction will make searching and picking up on things a bit easier.

If it's primarily self-defense, but not exclusively so, a dual mode would probably be useful, given that a low output mode can be quite useful for normal flashlight things.

Current dogma is trending toward throw, but that makes it less useful for normal flashlight things at times.

The following single cell recs are based of spec sheet and second hand reports, not my own direct experience:
    • The SureFire EDCL1-T has okay throw and decent overall output, along with SureFire's legendary reliability. Some people really dig the gas pedal clicky for switchology between low and high outout, along with the ability to not accidentally override the momentary and go into constant on.
    • The Malkoff MDC HA is like a budget EDCL1-T in terms of performance, but is also a bit cheaper, and just as reliable. Momentary is achieved by not pressing in all the way.
    • The Malkoff MDC Bodyguard will be able to outperform the EDCL1-T in short bursts with a rechargeable. It has only a single selectable output. Momentary is achieved by not pressing in all the way.
    • The Modlite Handheld PLHv2-18350 has excellent performance, but is limited by the single output, and is quite pricey (the OKW variant is the high throw version, which I personally think is not very useful in an EDC light). Momentary is achieved by not pressing in all the way, although Arisaka offers a replacement tailcap that operates as momentary only for pushing, and twist for constant on. It uses only 18350s.
    • EDC Light builder has several single cell models with smaller Malkoff heads, with multiple options to tailor to your preferred metrics and methodology. They only use 18350s.
    • The Streamlight ProTac 1L is like a budget Malkoff MDC HA of sorts, similar outputs, but likely less durable.
    • HDS Rotary has a legendary switchology and durability, but the LEDs are little behind on the times, albeit still servicable. They're also quite pricey.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head for lights by American companies. Plenty of other cheaper options from the likes of Nitecore, Olight, Fenix, etc.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a G2X that I’ve used in low/no light classes and had no problems hitting what I was aiming at. 600 lumens and under $100. For EDC, I usually carry the Cloud Defensive Chicro. It a cheap little light, but pretty bright.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The EDC aspect means that it needs to have a low output mode, and the Tactical aspect means that this mode cannot be accidentally selected when high is needed, and vice verse.

With the stated size limitation and price point, the closest I can come up with is the Elzetta Alpha A313, which comes with the standard optic and high/low tailcap. Once a Dark Sucks clip is added, the price is $200.

My number one recommendation isn't one that can be purchased as a complete light, but is a fabulous tool and not anywhere close to $150. It's the Elzetta Bravo body with a low profile or crenellated head, paired with a Malkoff M91BN LED module, and the high/low tailcap. When used with the Harries technique, for me, it is very difficult to latch the switch into always-on mode without slightly adjusting my grip on the light. Low mode can be activated by loosening the tailcap with my thumb and index finger.

My number two recommendation might be purchased as a complete light, depending on the desired tailcap, but all of the lights I'm mentioning are completely modular and very easy to reconfigure as needed. Slightly larger in size compared to the Elzetta Bravo, the Malkoff MD2 with high/low head. There are lots of tailcap options, since it uses Surefire 6P threads. A Surefire Z41 that's been upgraded with a McClicky switch and hard press boot is a great option if standing the light on it's tail isn't needed. I and up doing this quite often, so it shouldn't be completely ignored. Low mode for this light is achieved by loosening the head, which can't be easily accomplished with a pistol in the other hand.

I carry a Malkoff MD2 (with one of several tailcaps and LED modules) or Elzetta Bravo ~340 days a year. The remainder of them have an Elzetta with AVS head (even larger than my standards) or an Oveready Wasp (same size as the Elzetta).
    Last edited by grizzman; 09-19-23 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I am a recovering flashlight geek who has bought just about every fancy Surefire, Streamlight, Malkoff, and various custom and most any vaguely tactical light since 1995. I carry a decent light 24/7 and have used many on duty working PMs for 15 years and still clearing houses during the day for the past 13. I have all Surefire on my duty guns but experiment with my handhelds constantly.

I say all this because I think that lights are evolving so fast now with much broader interest that buying higher end custom lights and even Surefire edc lights is a losing game. The new crop of Chinese sourced lights have been around for a long time now and that's where all the innovation is happening. I have carried a Klarus E2 as EDC for years due to the size, brightness, and easy tactical UI but the new Olight Warrior Mini 3 is a very clean evolution of Olights UI technology. They do the half press for medium and full press for full power better than Surefire. They also offer easy low power admin ability without interfering with the primary tactical usage. Strobe can be turned off but available if you want it. Fit and finish and performance are better than Surefire and their ancient adherence to old switching technology.

OLIGHT Warrior Mini3 Tactical Flashlight, Dual Switches LED Rechargeable Light with MCC3 Charger, 1750 Lumens Powerful EDC Flashlights for Camping, Emergency and Outdoor (Black) https://a.co/d/icwXq52

It also has more of a spot than the Klarus but with usable flood. For only $65 its worth getting and still leaving you open to upgrading in a couple years when an even more evolved model catches your interest.

Long winded but hopefully helpful!

Dennis.

Current Olight EDC

Last edited by Dennis; 09-20-23 at 01:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Simple answer
    $40s
    Streamlight protac 1l-1aa

Slightly Better answer
    $150s
    Surefire ed1l-t or malkoff mdc 1cr123 series

Best answer
    $120+
    Streamlight microstream or cloud defensive chicro and a decent 18350/18650 tac light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zombiescometh; 09-20-23 at 01:32.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast