Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you zero your handguns and test your ammo?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

How often do you zero your handguns and test your ammo?

I took 3 handguns out to test some ammo that I bought several thousand rounds of each, you know-stocking up season. Freedom munitions 147g HP, and Norma 124 FMJ. I wanted to test the accuracy so I took my Sig Legions X5 and 226 SAO and my Stacatto P. All equipped with RDS.

All guns shot 2 inch or better groups with a rest at 20 yards. I was very please with accuracy. I had Mark shoot the groups because I lack the patience to shoot groups in general, and obviously it went well. How often do you test your ammo and guns?

I chromo'd the Norma last week at 1135fps and FM 915fps. It was another batch of FM ammo but should be similar.

Next week I might take my Stacatto C2 and other Legion 226DA/SA.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-23-23 at 22:34.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Never had a need after the initial zero. I am shooting non-adjustable irons, so I don’t have the ability to adjust for elevation. With that said, the RDS might have the ability to adjus, but maybe that is just for initial zero and can be ignored there on out?

Just thinking it may be over thinking the need to re-zero just because the RDS easily allows for it.

With a 2 or 4 MOA dot, would not just shooting top, middle, bottom of dot adjust for all your types of ammo? Same for windage. Just need to make notes on which ammo has the different POA and POI.

Feedback Score
    I change batteries on the Trijicon RDS once a year and will check zero after doing so. I've not had more than a 1/4" change at twenty yards since I started using them in 2015.
    Some ammo will change the zero but I usually buy it by the case so its easy to test that.

Feedback Score
    Since I have gone back to Glock with the Leupold Delta micro, I have had zero issues with them maintaining zero.

But I kind of look at each range session as a combination working on skills for me and verification that my guns and equipment still work .

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I use reference marks on optic mounts and white/red/blue on optics- with white for range ammo zero (mine is handload so it never varies) and red or blue for carry ammo. This for pistols that actually get carried as well as shot at range.
    Barring an optic going tits up (2 RMRs did), I don’t verify zero unless I start shooting WAY off of aimpoint.
    And this has only happened when optics themselves went kaput.
    Obviously, if I change carry ammo a re-dial is in order.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

How often do you zero your handguns and test your ammo?

I have two handguns with RDS on them and I take them with me to the range every time. So far, no need to re-zero them.
    The other ones with fixed sights well, they are fixed sights. I shoot GD 124gr mostly and I have not seen much difference between batches to justify a re-zero.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have historically never tested handguns for accuracy. My thought “ center mass is easy” and texting accuracy is a new concept to me. And I have found very little fluctuation even when remounting a RDS. I have never played with iron sights for sighting in.

I shoot one match with very small targets so my guns should be spot on. Also, I bought so much of this 147 gr ammo, I thought it prudent to test and see if both brands of ammo were very close. And they were. The norma might hit a scootch higher but both essentially spot on. I did need to adjust a little so I am glad I did it.

Probably good for a year. YMMV

PB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't....I test them when I buy them for function and to see if they are reasonably on target and make adjustments, if necessary. I don't shoot competitions any more but it was never an issue for me when I did.......I only have one 44 MAG with an optic and I haven't even gotten out to do an initial zero. But, I'm willing to bet my laser bore scope sighting has it more than close enough for typical SD pistol range.

I don't consider pistols to be much of an accuracy platform or problem to solve. If I miss a steel plate at 15 yards its usually on me, not the pistol or the ammo.

After thinking more about this while typing, I have too many darned pistols to even consider doing such a thing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pretty much never. Though in fairness, all I shoot are Glocks with night sights.

I pulled out a Gen 4 G19 that's been sitting in storage for about 6 years. Took it to the range about 2 weeks ago with a few boxes of decade old Gold Dots I needed to replace with something newer. All was great.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    It happens inherently with practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast