Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you zero your handguns and test your ammo?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    It happens inherently with practice.
    This, though I have only one adjustable without sight-pusher tool, drift, and hammer.

EDIT: None. Forgot I had sold that one (1911) with adjustable rear sight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    How often do you zero your handguns and test your ammo?
    Regularly, mostly by default through assorted exercises. Sometimes deliberately. On good day, you can see load and lot variations with RDSs and even irons.

The Rangemaster Bullseye Course is great for that: https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...ullseye-course

Chuck Pressburg's NFP drill set is also excellent for teasing out that stuff.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I test accuracy whenever I develop a new hand load or use a new bullet in a load.

I am bad about using different SD ammo, and have some 9MM guns loaded with 124 and others with 147, mostly Gold Dots, Golden Saber, or HST. .

I shoot all my loaded JHP mags (probably 12 mags or so for everything) dry once a year and reload with fresh ammo. Out to 25 yards I’ve never really had an issue and can keep everything on a 4” plate offhand if I am really paying attention.

I bought a case of HST 147 but I still have a bunch of mixed bag JHP I need to use first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mark hand loaded some Berry bullets that shot plate sized groups, like something I had never seen before. It was jaw dropping, which is what has always been in the back of my mind. If I shot all handholds, I would test certain bullets but I buy most 9mm banger ammo.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Mark hand loaded some Berry bullets that shot plate sized groups, like something I had never seen before. It was jaw dropping, which is what has always been in the back of my mind. If I shot all handholds, I would test certain bullets but I buy most 9mm banger ammo.

PB
    One of “the pups” brought out some Berry 147 handloads and was shooting an XC. (Come on Man!!)
    Ran off hand Drill at 55 yds.
    He couldn’t keep 5 rds on a full USPSA target.
    Had him shoot same drill with my 124 gr Zero JHPs, 6” group.

The plated bullets are probably fine for Hoser stuff, close. I’ve never had any confidence in, or luck with them for precision personally.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I rarely test for accuracy, I mainly check for function and ability to operate the weapon.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    One of “the pups” brought out some Berry 147 handloads and was shooting an XC. (Come on Man!!)
    Ran off hand Drill at 55 yds.
    He couldn’t keep 5 rds on a full USPSA target.
    Had him shoot same drill with my 124 gr Zero JHPs, 6” group.

The plated bullets are probably fine for Hoser stuff, close. I’ve never had any confidence in, or luck with them for precision personally.
    Yea, I bought those Berry bullets during one of the panic buy times, now they just sit. Should dump them out and use the boxes they come it, which are kinda nice.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Not often. Last time I switched lots of carry ammo was like 6 years ago, and I bought cases. My hand-loads, and issued ammo has been close enough at realistic pistol relevant distances. I’m able to get 5 out of 15 on a reduced silhouette at 175 yds (nothing to be proud of, just a statement about zero) with hastily loaded Blue FP 147s. I really don’t touch the dials very often.

And yeah, Berrys has some nice boxes. I mostly shoot Blues, though.

Feedback Score
    When I practice / train it gets verified.

So, pretty regularly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Instead of zeroing my weapon, how about zeroing myself? My G17 was perpetually left. My other glocks, no problem hitting with mechanical zero. But that full sized 9mm was frustrating. I eventually drifted the sights 2 years ago. Since then, with dry fire and practice on steel I got better. Last week, went to the paper target range to train. Amazing! The groups were all too right. I ended drifting the sights back to mechanical zero. So, yes, I zeroed myself...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast