Thread: Sig MCX Spear Muzzle Device

Feedback Score

Sig MCX Spear Muzzle Device

I'm still waiting on my stamp for my MCX but I'm getting everything I need together for it's release. I've already got a replacement muzzle device ready to go for a suppressor I already own. I've read how much of a bitch it is to remove the Sig mount. The two methods that I've seen advised are boil for two hours and hit it with a propane torch. I'm not sure I want to have an upper boiling on the stove for two hours with my toddler running around the house like his ass is already on fire.

Would it be ok to jump to the torch? How hard would it be to harm the barrel? Will a torch get hot enough to take out the temper? When will I know it's ready?

Will a Midwest industries action rod work on an MCX? I don't know if they have an AR pattern bolt. If not, how do you all stabilize the barrel to wrench on them?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If the water is to remove Rocksett, you shouldn’t have to boil for two hours. Rocksett is impervious to heat, but softens/dissolves in water. The main ingredient is water soluble.

What I do to remove Rocksettted muzzle devices is to boil water in a coffee cup that I’m never going to use for coffee again using the microwave. I then smear like less than half a drop of dish soap anywhere on the muzzle device, place the coffee cup in a corner (inaccessible to the kid, of course) and submerge the muzzle device, leaning the upper in the corner. Give it at least 15 minutes, maybe more. I usually just go do something else for a bit.

If you need to hit it with a torch, don’t go crazy, or you’ll cook the water off the Rocksett and resolidify it.

I don’t know if the URR works on the Spear LT, but you can make a barrel vice block very easily. Get 2 6” sections of 2”x2” and clamp them in your vice. Grab a drill bit a slightly smaller diameter than your barrel. Drill in the center between the two pieces, a couple inches from the ends. Take them out and use a file or rasp or whatever to chamfer the edges of the hole so the barrel will fit in when you clamp it in the vice.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-26-23 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If the water is to remove Rocksett, you shouldn’t have to boil for two hours. Rocksett is impervious to heat, but softens/dissolves in water. The main ingredient is water soluble.

What I do to remove Rocksettted muzzle devices is to boil water in a coffee cup that I’m never going to use for coffee again using the microwave. I then smear like less than half a drop of dish soap anywhere on the muzzle device, place the coffee cup in a corner (inaccessible to the kid, of course) and submerge the muzzle device, leaning the upper in the corner. Give it at least 15 minutes, maybe more. I usually just go do something else for a bit.

If you need to hit it with a torch, don’t go crazy, or you’ll cook the water off the Rocksett and resolidify it.

I don’t know if the URR works on the Spear LT, but you can make a barrel vice block very easily. Get 2 6” sections of 2”x2” and clamp them in your vice. Grab a drill bit a slightly smaller diameter than your barrel. Drill in the center between the two pieces, a couple inches from the ends. Take them out and use a file or rasp or whatever to chamfer the edges of the hole so the barrel will fit in when you clamp it in the vice.
    Ok, so maybe all that is a little bit more intelligent than what I had in mind (big pot with the upper hung some way from the vent or something). I didn't know about Rocksett being water soluble. It sounds like a torch would actually work adversely to the removal. Thank you for your response!