Thread: unusual markings on a recently-purchased AR carry-handle rear sight

Feedback Score

unusual markings on a recently-purchased AR carry-handle rear sight

I purchased a used but in great condition AR carry handle rear sight assembly with the two-screw side mounting system recently at a LGS. I inspected the sight for forge markings to be sure I had a 'good one', as well as the overall condition of the device before I bought it.
    When I got home, I looked closely at it and noticed the markings on the horizontal distance wheel were "0 - 5 - 10 - 15 - 20". I have never seen this pattern before. Can anyone tell me what distances this rear sight are designed for as I was expecting a '6/3' marking system (6/3 - z - 4 - 5 ). HELP! RustyMusket

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sounds like a carry handle off of a competition Service Rifle and marked in "clicks" rather than approximate yardage.

Feedback Score

unusual markings on...AR carry-handle rear sight

Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Sounds like a carry handle off of a competition Service Rifle and marked in "clicks" rather than approximate yardage.
    Thanks dmd08! I guess this carry handle might have been useful about 10 years ago when I was active in CMP/NRA National Matches down at Perry but I was already shooting a match AR with no need for this type of upper!
    Now in my mid-70's, I'm a bit more sedate and couldn't handle a week of mid-summer living in the 'deluxe accommodations' there (although I see the original hutments have recently been upgraded)! Last year's spinal surgery changed all of that, and the ongoing need for Mr. Cane at my side clinched it!

All I'm trying to do now is complete a few self-built ARs and get them sighted-in for distance using the Santose RIBZ instructions before they are 'required'.

Be safe out there! You know how to handle any 'crazies' you may encounter! Adapt! Improvise! Overcome!

RustyMusket

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting. I've never heard of/seen that before. It would be interesting to see how it tracks out to distances.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v