Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help picking a headlamp

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    That being said, it's going back and the search continues. I have the Black Diamond Storm 500-R on order and will see how that one goes...
    If you thought the NU43 had good enough throw, then the BD will almost certainly be fine (I would characterize neither as having good throw, I have a Storm 450 as I needed the ability to have battery interoperability, and the throw is decent for a headlamp, but sucks compared to my Streamlight HL-X, which isn't exactly a high candela light).
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 10-03-23 at 09:10.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    PETZL

Feedback Score
    ^ This ^
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    I dropped a PETZL from a tree stand once in the dark. After I got down I couldn’t find it so I just left. I went back to that stand almost a year later to the day, found it, and it still worked, same batteries and all. A year of cold, heat, rain and snow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Take a look at some of the Coast headlamps. I have Petzl, Olight and some others, and use a Coast quite often in my garage when working on my car: https://coastportland.com/collection...roducts/xph25r

I like being able to focus the beam from flood to spot; something my Olights can't do. Also, the USB charging and CR123 compatibility are convenient. Some other models also have red lights.
    I have one of these since spring 2022:

https://coastportland.com/collection.../products/fl86

I like the rechargeable and aaa option. Decent beam distance or width with a twist of the lens focus.

Only minor gripe is it can get clicked on inside a pack occasionally, although it isn't the only light I have owned with thar issue and not the worst either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but have you tried any other of the Coast flashlights? As my son is starting to hunting and camping with me I want to get him something decent but cheap enough to not cringe when he drops one in the river on the way to the duck blind.
    I have had mostly good experiences with Coast handheld. At one time Coast made a 3x aaa(loaded in to a holder then inserted) 1" tube light marketed as a weapon light(remote pressure switch was optional) that stopped working on an AR till basically jiggled. Took it off and it has worked ever since, but I didn't use Coast's warranty.

I bought a few of a single AA mini handhelds they marketed(think the model was HP5) because those could handle lithium batteries that have been flawless including a couple mounted on 12gauge 870 and 500 Magpul forearms in their vee block and ring mounts that were attached during 3 gun matches and turkey seasons.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-30-24 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Not to pee in your Cheerios, but I have had Coast lights fail. Granted, I believe it was purchased at ChinaMart….but I was pretty disappointed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    First thing is what are you using it for?

I have quite a few headlamps, and for the most part I would recommend a Petzl, as the just work well. But I have a $12 Energizer headlamp I use for hunting that's been dunked in the water I don't know how many times and it still works fine. It's awesome even though it's only got some 300 lumens, but when you're using it you're really only illuminating what's within maybe 15 feet of you, otherwise I have a actual flashlight that I use for anything further.
    I have a PrincetonTec 78 lumen light that I have in my tactical kit that has a red lens window ensuring that I cannot ND white light with it, and that's all I really need for patrol based movements.

https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-Compact...8&sr=1-12&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RLJZX0...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Mid...1zcF9hdGY&th=1
    As long as it works for the intended purpose... that's what matters.

While Bluto is away with his trial and error headlamp search I thought I'd kill a couple minutes and waste some bandwidth.

I use a headlamp and hat light for walking the dog in the early AM. Navigating outside stairs to the shop in the PM, and working on guns. No high-speed low-drag tactical ops. Surefire Sidekick (1oz) on the ball cap works quite well. MUCH prefer it to a headlamp strapped to my skull. It's been reliable for years... on third cap now. During winter the Streamlight strap around a knit beanie is fine. Honestly, for my intended use there's nothing I've seen in this thread that I'd prefer to have than my Sidekick cap. I can already hear the M4C groans and chuckles.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    As long as it works for the intended purpose... that's what matters.

While Bluto is away with his trial and error headlamp search I thought I'd kill a couple minutes and waste some bandwidth.

I use a headlamp and hat light for walking the dog in the early AM. Navigating outside stairs to the shop in the PM, and working on guns. No high-speed low-drag tactical ops. Surefire Sidekick (1oz) on the ball cap works quite well. MUCH prefer it to a headlamp strapped to my skull. It's been reliable for years... on third cap now. During winter the Streamlight strap around a knit beanie is fine. Honestly, for my intended use there's nothing I've seen in this thread that I'd prefer to have than my Sidekick cap. I can already hear the M4C groans and chuckles.

Cheers.
    I appreciate your honesty. I don't understand the people who want all the lumens of a F350 light bar strapped to their head (this is not a weapon light and should not be judged by the same criteria), I get the reliability part for sure, but a headlamp to me is so I can see things in my work space and have my hands free. I use them all the time when hunting and camping and I like something fairly reliable and handy. If your talking tactical the name of the game is signature reduction, so I just like a Red lens model preferably, with anything I think the KISS method is sometimes ignored with accessories, and the new "Instagram Hotness" is what people want
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post

Cheers.

I miss my Sidekicks, had a couple of them… killed then both with no replacement available.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast