Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to buy a suppressor in 2023 (commercial side)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My first foray into suppressors consisted of DeadAir Sandman S, Sandman K and Wolfman. Those theoretically cover me for pretty much every centerfire caliber up to .300 RUM (Win Mag, etc.). I ordered all three through my local FFL, who did the paperwork, and had them home after 9-10 months.

The reality of suppressors quickly became apparent to me. I shoot lefty, and gas blow back was an issue even on my piston ARs. The Sandman S had noticeably more gas out the ejection port than the Sandman K. The Sandman K, although reducing concussion, didn’t sound like I had a suppressor at all on my 11.5”. Adding a pound, or more, to the tip of a rifle really changes the handling.

I now have ordered a Huxwrx Flow 556k and 762Ti from FFL. Guess I’ll see what the latest suppressor trend has to offer, but I’ve learned that suppressors aren’t magical devices and come with a host of compromises. The purchasing process wasn’t difficult, just a long wait. My FFL also allows use of the suppressors while waiting for the tax stamp approval, but I never took him up on that.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 09-29-23 at 10:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    My first foray into suppressors consisted of DeadAir Sandman S, Sandman K and Wolfman. Those theoretically cover me for pretty much every centerfire caliber up to .300 RUM (Win Mag, etc.). I ordered all three through my local FFL, who did the paperwork, and had them home after 9-10 months.

The reality of suppressors quickly became apparent to me. I shoot lefty, and gas blow back was an issue even on my piston ARs. The Sandman S had noticeably more gas out the ejection port than the Sandman K. The Sandman K, although reducing concussion, didn’t sound like I had a suppressor at all on my 11.5”. Adding a pound, or more, to the tip of a rifle really changes the handling.

I now have ordered a Huxwrx Flow 556k and 762Ti from FFL. Guess I’ll see what the latest suppressor trend has to offer, but I’ve learned that suppressors aren’t magical devices and come with a host of compromises. The purchasing process wasn’t difficult, just a long wait. My FFL also allows use of the suppressors while waiting for the tax stamp approval, but I never took him up on that.
    The HuxWrx cans will be a game changer for you. They suppress supersonics very well, and the gas advantages are real. Depending on your expectations, you won't consider them "quiet" out of an 11.5, but they will both be noticeably better than the Sandman K.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    You're not the first person I heard having that experience with the Sandman K. One buddy said it was about the equivalent of having a blast can on his SBR. Not sure I would call it that bad but definitely not impressive.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    You're not the first person I heard having that experience with the Sandman K. One buddy said it was about the equivalent of having a blast can on his SBR. Not sure I would call it that bad but definitely not impressive.
    Yes, the Sandman K from a weight and size standpoint is where I’d like to be for a suppressor but the suppression is barely noticeable on an 11.5” 5.56. I’d call it “acceptable” suppression on a 14.5” barrel. It does have very low back pressure.

These are precisely the reasons why I’m interested in the Flow 556k.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    Yes, the Sandman K from a weight and size standpoint is where I’d like to be for a suppressor but the suppression is barely noticeable on an 11.5” 5.56. I’d call it “acceptable” suppression on a 14.5” barrel. It does have very low back pressure.

These are precisely the reasons why I’m interested in the Flow 556k.
    Are you looking at the Flow because you want the super low backpressure, or because you’re looking for a better performing can than the Sandman K with the same footprint, maybe lighter?

Feedback Score
    One of the guys at the shop got in a Flow 5.56. Hoping he has it mounted up this weekend because I really want to hear what it sounds like. My Polo K is still in jail there so maybe getting a comparison is in the cards. Basic baffle design can in the OCL and the new hotness with the Flow 556k on an 11.5 might be good......

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    One of the guys at the shop got in a Flow 5.56. Hoping he has it mounted up this weekend because I really want to hear what it sounds like. My Polo K is still in jail there so maybe getting a comparison is in the cards. Basic baffle design can in the OCL and the new hotness with the Flow 556k on an 11.5 might be good......
    A buddy has a Flow 556k. Shooting it side by side with a HX556 Ti at an indoor range, it hard to distinguish between the 2 with hearing protection. FWIW.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Are you looking at the Flow because you want the super low backpressure, or because you’re looking for a better performing can than the Sandman K with the same footprint, maybe lighter?
    All of the above. The Flow 556k seems to be about the weight and size of the Sandman K with suppression performance better than the Sandman S. I think the compromise with the Flow 556k is the regular cleaning interval and it's a 556-specific design.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    I hate to recite a commercial, but Silencer Shop really does make it easy, or at least a lot easier than any other place I’ve seen.

Interestingly I did buy a new can last year from an LGS that was also a Silencer Shop affiliate dealer. So I was able to use their kiosk and what-not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    +1 but will add find a LGS with a range that is also a Silencer Shop Kiosk dealer. This way you can come in and shoot the can while you wait to take possession. Best of all worlds, Silencer Shop inventory availability, Local use while waiting, easy form 4 usage with Kiosk.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm confused by the title of this thread but SF's SOCOM RC3 will be out next month I believe. Weight and length are comparable to the RC2 but apparently much better gas flow properties, though at the cost of sound suppression. Same mounts though that's a huge plus considering the wide availability of SF MDs.
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-30-23 at 10:21.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast