Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Attack

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    If you look at the stats I mentioned earlier (that I obtained from a pro-animal site) the number of lethal and non-lethal attacks on humans by Pit Bulls is so overwhelming, that even if you cut the numbers in half for the Pit Bulls, their attack numbers would still be drastically more than any other breed.
    Bottom line is you canít reason with unreasonable people.
    Stats vary, but the ones I've seen consistently show Pit bull attacks and deaths at the top of the list. One could argue that little dogs bite more than others but inconsequential bites/nips are not reported so it gives larger breeds a bad rap. However, living in the real world it has little relevance to a Pit bull tearing the flesh off someone's legs resulting in amputation vs a little yappy dog nipping at a pantcuff.

I find the breed misidentification argument obfuscatory at best. Pit bull is an umbrella term including Stafford-shire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier and other Pit mixes. The notion that a dog with the outward characteristics of a Pit bull that is tearing the flesh off a human but DNA testing shows a percent of another breed in it's heritage... so therefore it has been misidentified and unfair to Pit bulls, is silly IMO. When identifying dogs in the real world visual discernment is the tool we have. Perhaps those attempting to defend Pit bulls in general would be satisfied with categorizing these horrific attacks as perpetrated by Pit bull in appearance.

My wife got it in her head that DNA testing our dog would be interesting.

General results:
    25% Beagle
    25% American Staffordshire Terrier
    25% Mixed breeds (too many to list)
    12% Siberian Husky
    12% Boxer

If my dog ever bites someone there is zero chance she'd be identified as Pit bull, but she has just as much Pit bull in her as anything else.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 12-06-23 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    Bulletdog……can you explain to me how it is that all of the current bite and dog attack data is skewed as you say? I’m really asking, not being a prick. I acknowledged that a lot of the breeds in these attacks are pit bull mixes. Aside from that, where is the misinformation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The bite data isn't skewed. How it is interpreted and the data that is not presented is.

There are more irresponsible owners and more irresponsible back yard breeders that own/breed pitbulls. With a breed like this, that is a bad combo. In a typical "bad" neighborhood, how many pits "protecting" a piece of property do you see versus other dogs? They are the "easy" button for most people who want to protect their home. Their reputation and pricing is a "no-brainer" for those types of people. They also won't socialize their dogs or train them. Again, not a good combo. Boottom line is this breed requires a responsible owner who can handle it, a lot of people aren't and can't. That is the real problem.

As far as Bulletdog saying they tend to attack animals more than people, that is also true. I know a guy who hunts boar with them and breeds them. He doesn't fight them but knows that culture. He mentioned the same thing and also mentioned that they are actually wagging their tail when they are about to fight. Like a hunting dog on a hunt. Handlers can pull them off any time and not get bit. Another friend has 2 blues. The male is super intimidating. Big baby when it comes to humans. Another dog though, different story. My friend knows this so he responsibly keeps him away from other male dogs. A lot of owners though, not this responsible and want to take them to the doggie park. Complete dumbasses. They usually don't even have the yard to contain them in the first place, which is why these attacks occur.

Feedback Score
    These two dogs waited over eight years before killing half of this family.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/dogs-fata...nt-friend-says

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    The bite data isn't skewed. How it is interpreted and the data that is not presented is.

There are more irresponsible owners and more irresponsible back yard breeders that own/breed pitbulls. With a breed like this, that is a bad combo. In a typical "bad" neighborhood, how many pits "protecting" a piece of property do you see versus other dogs? They are the "easy" button for most people who want to protect their home. Their reputation and pricing is a "no-brainer" for those types of people. They also won't socialize their dogs or train them. Again, not a good combo. Boottom line is this breed requires a responsible owner who can handle it, a lot of people aren't and can't. That is the real problem.

As far as Bulletdog saying they tend to attack animals more than people, that is also true. I know a guy who hunts boar with them and breeds them. He doesn't fight them but knows that culture. He mentioned the same thing and also mentioned that they are actually wagging their tail when they are about to fight. Like a hunting dog on a hunt. Handlers can pull them off any time and not get bit. Another friend has 2 blues. The male is super intimidating. Big baby when it comes to humans. Another dog though, different story. My friend knows this so he responsibly keeps him away from other male dogs. A lot of owners though, not this responsible and want to take them to the doggie park. Complete dumbasses. They usually don't even have the yard to contain them in the first place, which is why these attacks occur.
    You keep saying the pit problem is due to irresponsible owners and bad breeders. So it seems you admit thereís an issue but Iíve yet to see a solution. Do you think some public drives and educational campaigns are going to help? No. What are you or the other pro-pit owners in the thread personally doing other than play defense on the internet?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    These two dogs waited over eight years before killing half of this family.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/dogs-fata...nt-friend-says
    Standard M4C reply to this article:

It wasn't the dog, it was the owner
    That's racist
    The children likely provoked the dogs
    A German Shepherd would have killed more

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Standard M4C reply to this article:

It wasn't the dog, it was the owner
    That's racist
    The children likely provoked the dogs
    A German Shepherd would have killed more
    It’s strange though how a nice family can have Pit Bulls obtained from different sources… but yet when one attacks, they all attack. Any dog that turns against the hand that feeds it is worthless. Everyone says that their Pit Bull is a big baby and will only possibly lick you to death. They say that before they attack, then after they attack the owner says they don’t understand, the dog was always just a big baby. I don’t particularly care for Judge Judy, but a couple days ago watched her show where the plaintiff was suing for medical bills from a Pit Bull attack. The dog was trying to get to her five year old child. The dog tore the woman’s arm open in the process. Plaintiff won. Judy says at the end of the show, all you Pit Bull owners can send all the letters and emails you want, I don’t care.
    These Pit Bull supporters are really grasping at straws comparing us to racists or gun grabbers. Pathetic actually.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    You keep saying the pit problem is due to irresponsible owners and bad breeders. So it seems you admit there’s an issue but I’ve yet to see a solution. Do you think some public drives and educational campaigns are going to help? No. What are you or the other pro-pit owners in the thread personally doing other than play defense on the internet?
    Yes, the problem is bad owners and bad breeding. Irresponsible people do Irresponsible things. You can't fix that. How do you fix the problem of ND's in a household? You don't. All you can do is try and educate and hope people listen and make better choices. Unfortunately, stupidity and the lack of any accountability these days make it a losing proposition.

But taking away choices away from responsible people due to irresponsible people's actions is ****ing retarded.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 12-07-23 at 19:45.

Feedback Score
    Funny how bad owners and bad breeding predominantly affects Pit Bulls. Overwhelmingly in fact. People wanna own these crappy dogs is fine, but the owner should be charged with the dogs actions just as if the owner did it themselves.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Funny how bad owners and bad breeding predominantly affects Pit Bulls. Overwhelmingly in fact. People wanna own these crappy dogs is fine, but the owner should be charged with the dogs actions just as if the owner did it themselves.
    I totally agree.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had to use pepper spray on a pitbull mix recently at a park. I never needed to use it before on any dog so did not know how well it would work. I emptied the can (Sabre Red) but it did not have nearly the effect I thought it would. Thankfully I did not have to escalate as was able to get distance and to my vehicle to leave. The owner was nowhere near the dog and simply let it run off leash because it was earlier in the day and there was no one else there, besides me. They had no recall or control.

It blows my mind how some dog owner's don't seem concerned with their dog's action.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast